Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Forms, Lookups, Dropdownlists

Hi

To make the Dropdown in data are with the text you want, you can always define yourself.
Item = ["A", "B",...], and then set correspondence value bu referring to another entities using Dropdown.OnChange or OnSelect.

I guess this is easy for you as long as you link all those together.

If I am still not replying to your needs, why not you snap shot or sketch with simple table, layout,..of what you wish to accomplish and surely in the forum,they are many of us can try to share our ideas to help.

Have a nice day and goodnight from Malaysia.
hpkeong
Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

I have the following entities

• Client Contact:
    • ClientContactID: number sequence (title)
    • ClientFullname: Text
    • Client: Lookup (Client below)
  • Client:
    • ClientID: number sequence  (title)
    • ClientName: Text

I want to create an edit form for Client Contact, so I:

• Create new screen
  • Throw a form on it
  • Set data source to "Client Contact" entity above
  • Enable the following datacards:
    • ClientFullname
    • Client
      • When doing this, i choose "edit lookup"
      • Values displayed are "ClientID" - but I want it to display "ClientName"

As above. I think this is a common/simple use case for related entities / lookups. 

So what I want is:

• Ability to use forms
  • No workarounds
  • Dropdownlist for lookup which shows "ClientName" column, instead of the entity title field, which is "ClientID"
Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Please select the card that contains your lookup field dropdown. Then on the right hand side pane under "Form Customization", spot your field, and click the "..." icon, and change the "Value" dropdown to ClientName. This will change the projection of that lookup field (which is a complex object in PowerApps) in the dropdown. The card will continue to see the entire complex field value underneath, but only the Client Name will be rendered.

I hope this helps.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff
Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have tried it, in the value dropdown, "Title" alone is displayed.

powerapps.png

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Its greyed out, and defaults to ClientID.  No way of changing, hence this thread. 

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Sorry for the insistence here, but I just want to make sure we are not missing something obvious.

I understand that the Value dropdown looks greyed out. However, styling side, are you sure it is disabled? Have you tried clicking on the dropdown to see if there are any other fields available?

Also, is Client Name a required field in the referenced list, or is it optional?

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff
Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I have rechecked in the styling side, in the drop down, title alone is displayed. Also the ClientName is a required field in the refrenced list.

powerapps.png

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have a Sql Server database with a couple hundred entities but I'm only interested in 50 or 60 at the moment.  I have a need for 30 or 40 Lookups implemented with DropDown's which in the database are linked through foreign keys and 1:n reationships and I need a way to easily define these on a number of forms.

I have worked on LOB apps for 20 years across a range of industries and large companies and such a requirement is very, very common. In fact this requirement is on the small side so I am concerned with the earlier response describing 50 entities and 100 lookups as huge and complicated. 

Such a response is indicative of PowerApps being designed only for tiny data models and therefore unsuitable for real LOB apps.

So, what's the deal with PowerApps - is it meant for real LOB apps or tiny demoware?  Since the market and need for the former is huge I really hope that is where PowerApps is targeted...

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

@rgruian - see attached photos - the "Value" dropdown only shows "ClientID"

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,864)