Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jacky_Shen
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Function May Not Work when the System Language is not English

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is a bug, but I found something interesting today.

My system language is English, and I design my apps in PowerApps studio in English, everything works fine, and a fan from my blog asked me about showing a picture from the SharePoint List, and I told him to use the formula for the Image property. In the following formula:

First(ThisItem.Attachments).Value

My sample works fine but his doesn't and it shows an error that his formula has some invalid argument...

And then we changed his formula to:

First(ThisItem.附件).Value

and then it worked, here the word "附件" is the Chinese for "Attachments" as his system is in Chinese.

Does anyone from other locations ever find something like this? How can PowerApps not support the the code in English when the system language is not in English.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Jacky_Shen ,

Could you please share more details about your scenario? Which type is the Attachment column, is it a default Attachments column?

I made a test and changed my site settings of region to Chinese. After that I created a test list with default Attachments column which has changed into Chinese:

v-jefferni_0-1612864591520.png

Then in Power Apps studio, connect to this list, add a gallery, and I found that prompts after ThisItem’s dot came up several Chinese words:

v-jefferni_1-1612864591523.png

Then I changed region to German, create a new list with attachment column, connect with Power Apps, try above formula, it change to default:

v-jefferni_2-1612864591526.png

So, for SharePoint, if region have been changed to Chinese or maybe some other regions, column names would adjust based on corresponding language.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jacky_Shen
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

I don't think "Attachments" is the column name of a SharePoint list, this is a default column from SharePoint, it is like "ID" in ThisItem.ID, the only solution is that people needs to pick the item from the option list when the app is developed, such as, typing "ThisItem." and then choose a valid value from the list that the system shows.

Hi @Jacky_Shen ,

Could you please share more details about your scenario? Which type is the Attachment column, is it a default Attachments column?

I made a test and changed my site settings of region to Chinese. After that I created a test list with default Attachments column which has changed into Chinese:

v-jefferni_0-1612864591520.png

Then in Power Apps studio, connect to this list, add a gallery, and I found that prompts after ThisItem’s dot came up several Chinese words:

v-jefferni_1-1612864591523.png

Then I changed region to German, create a new list with attachment column, connect with Power Apps, try above formula, it change to default:

v-jefferni_2-1612864591526.png

So, for SharePoint, if region have been changed to Chinese or maybe some other regions, column names would adjust based on corresponding language.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jacky_Shen ,

Have you resolved the issue? 

If my post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Best regards,

@v-jefferni ,

Thank you. Then your testing proves that the some Keywords don't work in other language environment rather than English (I assume "Attachments" is a key word, as this is generated by SharePoint list automatically, maybe not a "Keywords" to Power Apps).

Just curious, how can I know which word stand for "Attachments" in Arabic if I am going to develop something in The United Arab Emirates, or Russian in Russia, or how can other non-Chinese designer know "附件" stands for "Attachments".

Hopefully, "Attachments" is the only column having this issue, which I don't think so. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,731)