Post Prodigy

Further advance filtering on Charts

Dear @PowerAddict 

Based on your and others wonderful support I made the following, 

1. Collection to find sales by location
  2. Collection to summarize the sales by location
  3. Chart to show the summary sales by location 

Capture.PNG

I want the location chart to filter based on the Year selection in the dropdown. In the location summary the SalesYear column has under the group. I tried following way but did not work

If(Dropdown2_1.Selected.Value="All",SalesSumbyLocation,Filter(SalesSumbyLocation, Grouped.SalesYear = Text(Dropdown2_1.Selected.Value)))

It says under the = sign invalid argument type 

Annotation 2019-11-30 055714.jpg

Kindly help

Osmand

20 REPLIES 20

@PowerAddict 

It is Control

Annotation 2019-11-30 133253.jpg

Keep your cursor at the points I have marked below:

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution. Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia
https://www.thepoweraddict.com

@PowerAddict  I did as you guided. but either side does not show anything related to data type

Hi,

We need to compare numbers with numbers, and your items in the dropdown are set to text, so could you try this:

If(
   Dropdown2_1.Selected.Value="All",
      SalesSumbyLocation,
   Filter(SalesSumbyLocation, Grouped.SalesYear = Value(Dropdown2_1.Selected.Value))
)

Could you try that and let me know if that works?

Thanks,

ManCat

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OsmandFernando ,

What is the data type of SalesYear column?

I almost agree with ManCat's thought. The error shows invalid argument type , that is because the left part of equal is number, but the right part is text. So please try this code:

If(Dropdown2_1.Selected.Value="All",SalesSumbyLocation,Filter(SalesSumbyLocation, Grouped.SalesYear = Value(Dropdown2_1.Selected.Value)))

Best regards,

Sik

@iAm_ManCat @v-siky-msft  I tried both solutions still = sign in red says Invalid Argument type

@PowerAddict  any idea?

Osmand

I'm thinking that because you have an "ALL" value, it won't be able to convert every item to Value, so could you try this:

If(
      SalesSumbyLocation,
   Filter(SalesSumbyLocation, Text(Grouped.SalesYear, "YYYY") = Dropdown2_1.Selected.Value)
)

Thanks!

ManCat

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

@iAm_ManCat tried and following is the result

Annotation 2019-12-03 210330.jpg

Ok, right, now I see, this is because you have multiple rows in each Grouped.SalesYear, so it's a list of entries rather than one item, so we can't compare a box of Apples with an Apple (if that makes sense?)

Could you try these two different formulae? I'm not actually 100% sure these will work, as I think the issue is that it's not able to compare multiple sub-items to a singular parent item.

If(
      SalesSumbyLocation,
   Filter(SalesSumbyLocationDropdown2_1.Selected.Value in Text(Grouped.SalesYear.Value, "YYYY"))
)

If(
      SalesSumbyLocation,
   Filter(SalesSumbyLocation, Text(Grouped.SalesYear.Value, "YYYY") = Dropdown2_1.Selected.Value)
)

Another way of solving this would be to create a new collection, which has the parent (SalesBySumLocation) ID as a new column maybe called RowID, and the contents of Grouped.SalesYear, using AddColumns and ClearCollect, and then filtering That to then show only those items where the Year matches, then comparing your original to this filtered list where the ID's and RowID's match.

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

hi @iAm_ManCat thank you so much for opening my eyes, I did small change to the collection, to add the SalesYear as a column, then applied your formula, it worked, yesssssss

Capture.PNG

Osmand. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,846)