cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Galleries and the difference between labels and input fields in terms of "ThisItem" - are there any? Differences between how it works in Make.Powerapps vs. when used in production

First things first, I'm working with the Common Data Service with the Dynamics 365 Sales System on the backend.  Sometimes people reply to questions like "Sharepoint doesn't support that", and I will not mark those as a valid answer as it assumes I am using a SharePoint back-end.  A lot of things seem more straightforward with SharePoint as your data source.

I'm noticing a difference between my PowerApp when I am testing it within make.powerapps.com, and how it behaves when called out in the wild.  Given I have an application that creates a collection of records, and displays them in a Gallery.  It's a custom gallery, so some pieces of information are displayed as labels while others are displayed as input fields. Keep in mind, both situations have the same "Run On Start" so it is not a data difference.  The labels just have the Text as "ThisItem.FieldName.Text" and are read-only. Whereas the Inputs (like a dropdown) have the default as ThisItem.FieldName.Text and the Items formula defines the choices (usually from an Option Set or a list of records from another entity in the case of a Lookup field.).

From PowerApps, pressing play to test, all the items in my gallery have data, everything works as designed.

When called directly (URL) or by opening the PowerApp to use it, the field labels all have values, but the input fields do not seem to work.  When I say they don't work, neither the Default Value nor the Items choices are available on any row except for the FIRST one in the gallery.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

This is not the ideal answer, but I'll provide what I'm doing as a workaround. Instead of having editable input fields on the Gallery - something I learned from a few sites (here's one: https://www.cloudfronts.com/create-an-editable-grid-view-in-powerapps/) ... I have recognized that no longer seems to be supported.

Instead, I have people select the product from the gallery and then show a form next to it, the form will allow them to edit the selected row, and when they update it, I both submit the form (updating the original data source) and refresh the gallery.  

It adds a click for the user and is less, in my opinion, intuitive than the editable grid they've grown used to, but it seems to work consistently and without any issues.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Frequent Visitor

This is not the ideal answer, but I'll provide what I'm doing as a workaround. Instead of having editable input fields on the Gallery - something I learned from a few sites (here's one: https://www.cloudfronts.com/create-an-editable-grid-view-in-powerapps/) ... I have recognized that no longer seems to be supported.

Instead, I have people select the product from the gallery and then show a form next to it, the form will allow them to edit the selected row, and when they update it, I both submit the form (updating the original data source) and refresh the gallery.  

It adds a click for the user and is less, in my opinion, intuitive than the editable grid they've grown used to, but it seems to work consistently and without any issues.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,796)