cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Gallery scrolling performance issues

I'm hoping there's some kind of planned performance improvement work on the gallery control, but posting this, in case there isn't.

At present, the gallery control is incredibly clunky/laggy when scrolling any faster than what I'd consider to be "unreasonablly slow".  The behavior is 

1. I scroll
  2. The rows move up
  3. There is a huge empty whitespace for about 1-2 seconds
  4. The white space fills up as the elements render
  5. Repeat process

I will note:

• It doesn't matter if I bind the gallery to a local collection or directly to the data source.   Since my data source (Azure SQL) is too large to be cached to a collection, I'm limited to direct binding anyways.
  • It's reproducible in web player (Chrome browser) and mobile (iPad app)
  • I am using ThisItem to bind all data to controls in the gallery.  At this point, I have 8 controls total in the template row, which are a mix of images (2 icons) and labels (6 of those).
  • It seems to be completely unrelated to latency in the network.  I can verify this by watching the troubleshooting console, and the lag isn't tied to any network calls, though I do see those happen at each 100 rows of data or so.
  • I can reproduce this on other data sources that I am caching to a local collection on app OnStart, where I see this empty whitespace when I scroll fast enough to where the gallery would need to render more than ~5 rows at a time.  In that case, the datasource is cached to a local collection, and that gallery only has 5 labels in the template row.

I'm attaching a video of this behavior.  While the lag you see might be "acceptable", it's not a great user experience on any platform. I understand that the gallery is probably working as designed for keeping resource utilization low on mobile devices, however, since this can be reproduce on mobile, too, I'm asking that Microsoft improve this. 

16 REPLIES 16
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem.
At the time of screen transition, all data displayed in the gallery is loaded into the local collection. However, there is a lag of about 5 seconds when scrolling through the gallery.
In my case, the scrolling time is very long, probably due to the use of nested galleries.

Gallery scroll "blank time" of several seconds happens even with a plain gallery (not nested). Performance gets REALLY poor when you have nested gallery with several hundred items in it, numerous columns and fields. Completely unusable in a desktop app for displaying large amounts of data.

I really don't understand how it's possible that more people aren't bothered by this, it makes for such a poor showing when you actually make something useful and people keep asking you why is the scrolling so bad.

The user experience is just abysmal, people are so used to snappy things with android and apple apps, so anytime they see something that kinda "lags" they just dismiss it on the spot. 

Advocate II
Advocate II

I'm also pretty shocked at how bad this performance issue is. I am building a PowerApp to replace an existing slow app built elsewhere years ago. I will never get buy in from the users if performance is actually worse when doing something as simple as scrolling a small number of records.

Come on Microsoft!!

This gallery performance really is a nightmare.

Accidental double post that I can't figure out how to delete.

Is there still no solution/workaround a year later?

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (32,310)