cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sanrajbhar
Level: Powered On

Gateway installation?

I am currently working on PowerApps to pull data from SQL server(installed on different server). I installed gateway on office desktop to assess SQL database. But my app is not working on home machine. Gateway Error occurs. And also it is not working for other colleague even I shared the App and has access to SQL server. App should work within organisation / outside of oragnisation for client.

May be On premises Gateway should install where SQL server install?
Can you suggest best practise in this Scenario?

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sanrajbhar

Re: Gateway installation?

Thanks for reply.

I installed Gatway on my desktop pc. and everytime I need to restart "On premise gateway" services. it seems now obivous that after office hours, app will not going to work for others (shared app with them).  could you please help how can I replace this gateway with new gateway installed on fast computer connected to internet without hampering app setting and controls.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Hi @sanrajbhar

Have you ever been able to access your SQL data from your app, or is this a problem that has started recently? If you go to Control Panel > Services, is the 'On-premises data gateway service' running? If you log onto the PowerApps portal and go to 'Gateways', what's the status of your gateway?

The main best practice is to install the gateway on a fast computer that is constantly connected to the Internet. The gateway does not need to be installed on the same machine as your SQL Server.

sanrajbhar

Thanks for reply.

I installed Gatway on my desktop pc. and everytime I need to restart "On premise gateway" services. it seems now obivous that after office hours, app will not going to work for others (shared app with them).  could you please help how can I replace this gateway with new gateway installed on fast computer connected to internet without hampering app setting and controls.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

You can find more details about the on-premises gateway here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/gateway-reference

The pertinent point is that when you first installed the gateway, you will have provided a 'recovery key'. When you install the gateway on your new faster computer, you can select the 'migrate, restore, or take over an existing gateway' option, type in your recovery key, and follow the process to replace your existing gateway.

sanrajbhar

How to retrive 'recovery key'? any idea?

Super User
Super User

The 'recovery key' is the secret key that you provided when you first installed the gateway. Have you forgotten it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,590)