cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FLOWPA
Advocate I
Advocate I

Gateway needed for MySQL connector? even if the MySQL database is in the cloud?

When installing the MySQL database connector, I am told that a gateway is needed, and I am prompted to download a 300mb+ file
The MySQL database is not stored locally, it's a remote database within a managed hosting service. 

I know it's a premium connector, but I don't mind the licensing cost. I just need to understand it.

The terminology 'on-premises gateway' is confusing me. Do I still need to install the gateway to use the remote MySQL database connector? Please, could anyone clarify? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
rizkyaditya
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hello @FLOWPA ,

Maybe you can refer to this video : Powerapps on premise data gateway 

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @FLOWPA 

Yes, what you're saying is correct. It's not possible to connect directly to MySQL, in the same way that you could connect to an instance of Microsoft SQL Server Azure that's hosted in the cloud.

Any connection to MySQL must go through the on-premises gateway, even for cloud hosted MySQL instances (such as MySQL that's hosted in the Amazon RDS).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rizkyaditya
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hello @FLOWPA ,

Maybe you can refer to this video : Powerapps on premise data gateway 

I hope this helps.

timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @FLOWPA 

Yes, what you're saying is correct. It's not possible to connect directly to MySQL, in the same way that you could connect to an instance of Microsoft SQL Server Azure that's hosted in the cloud.

Any connection to MySQL must go through the on-premises gateway, even for cloud hosted MySQL instances (such as MySQL that's hosted in the Amazon RDS).

@timl wrote:

Hi @FLOWPA 

@timl I love clear explanations like yours. Thanks, I understand it now.

(I accepted the wrong solution, how do I change it? This was supposed to be the solution)

timl
Super User
Super User

Thanks @FLOWPA - I'm glad that helped you 🙂
I think it might be possible to unaccept solutions by using the menu items though the elipses icon against the post.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (1,732)