cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Generate a complex PDF from PowerApps Input with Flow

Hey guys, I have the following problem: 

In our company we want to digitalize the performance record of our technicans with PowerApps, I'm not quite sure whats the best way to do this.. We want the technican to put the data into the PowerApps and in the next step there should be an automatically generated PDF-Document which is uploaded in OneDrive (based on Flow)

I found 2 ways to this:

1. I made a prototype of a performance record in Excel and marked every cell which has to be filled out, the problem is that can be up to 63 cells and due to its "unstructed form" I cannot declarate it all as a table -> which leads me to the problem that PowerApps can only work with tables in Excel...

2. The second approach I found out is to paste all the PowerApps input into HTML-Code, which is then pulled in Flow and automatically transfered in a PDF-Document (I did this based on this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhE0-HumNNo)
I did this with a very easy example and it worked. Problem is that the performance record has to be in a certain alignment which is hard to generate in HTML) I also saved the Excel-Document of the first approach in .HTML but the problem is that there are like 7 files generated but I need it all in one simple HTML-Code..

Now I want to ask you if one of these approaches is the right one, or is there maybe another way to do this which I don't know yet?
Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Re: Generate a complex PDF from PowerApps Input with Flow

I have not seen an example of the desired output, could you create a Word Template for this document? in Word you are very flexible to make formatting and alignments and creating a template is much easier than generating the HTML file. you can use the Word Online(Business) connector in Microsoft Flow to generate a Word Document out of the data in PowerApps, and then convert it to PDF. but again it all depends on what the output document looks like.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

I have not seen an example of the desired output, could you create a Word Template for this document? in Word you are very flexible to make formatting and alignments and creating a template is much easier than generating the HTML file. you can use the Word Online(Business) connector in Microsoft Flow to generate a Word Document out of the data in PowerApps, and then convert it to PDF. but again it all depends on what the output document looks like.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi Edwin, thanks for your reply!

I did it with Excel in the first step because it felt easier to get the desired formatting/alignment. 
I attached you the prototype I made in Excel (v1 - v63 are the fields which can be filled out in PowerApps)

I'm gonna try this in a Word template now as you suggested, wasn't concerned about the flexibility between PowerApps<->Word... 

Thanks alot already!

Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Thanks for sharing the document. I think you can create a nice template in word. Here is a very useful blog to learn how to work with the Word Connector and build a template.

But keep in mind that the Word Online (Business) connector is a premium connector and you need to have a paid PowerApps/Flow license. and I'm wondering why it is premium!

Highlighted

Hi Edwin-Abdalian!

Thanks for your reply, that blog is exactly what I was looking for!

Yes I already saw that too... really bad that you have to pay for this, but that's only secondary right now, I already started a trial to see if it's fitting to our requirements.

Have you heard about any workaround which doesnt require premium connectors? I couldn't find anything yet..

Have a nice day!

Julian

Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Glad that it helped you.

I don't have any workaround for it. I have a client which has a valid point and I can't argue with her. She says I have paid for Office 365, why should I pay $10 a month for using the Word Connector. I beleive she is right! and I haven't even told her that the Excel Connector is a Standard connector! this is weird!

If I helped you with solving the problem, please choose Accept as Solution and give me a Thumbs Up.

Highlighted

Absolutely... I think this is a key function and a recurring use-case for many companies, so it should be included in 365... But maybe there will be a workaround soon or they will change the pricing, we will see..

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,778)