Regular Visitor

Generating random serial number when sending form

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@imrineeman 

Try this:

Set(varPatchRecord, LookUp(your_datasource_name, ID=Form1.LastSubmit.ID));

Patch(your_datasource_name, varPatchRecord, {SerialNumber: Text(varPatchRecord.ID, “00000”)})

I changed the code and missed some brackets earlier.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Super User III
Super User III

@imrineeman 

Actually, you don’t need the number to be random.  It creates the problem of having to check for duplicates.  Make a 5 digit number based off of the Item ID instead.

To do this, put my code in the OnSuccess property of your form.  It will insert the serial number for the Item after the ID is known.

Patch(your_datasource_name, LookUp(your_datasource_name, ID=Form1.LastSubmit.ID), {SerialNumber: Text(ID, “00000”})

Make sure serial number is a text type column so the leading zeros show

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

I'm getting an error on this stage: Text(ID,“00000”) (expected operator, the function text has invalid arguments)

Thanks for helping

Fixed it, but it says that ID identifier isn't recognized..

@imrineeman 

Try this:

Set(varPatchRecord, LookUp(your_datasource_name, ID=Form1.LastSubmit.ID));

Patch(your_datasource_name, varPatchRecord, {SerialNumber: Text(varPatchRecord.ID, “00000”)})

I changed the code and missed some brackets earlier.

---

View solution in original post

Thanks for your help.

Still same issue , on this function : Text(varPatchRecord.ID,“00000”)

@imrineeman

Are you using SharePoint as a datasource?  Can I please see a screenshot of the formula showi the error?

---

Yes to sharepoint as db.

Capture.JPG

Hope this is enough

Thanks again!

@imrineeman 
You need to retype the quotation marks.  Delete them and then retype.  Its because you cut + paste my code directly from this forum and I type it on my mobile.

(Its a silly quirk of our forums).

---

Works as a charm!

I thank you very much for your patience and help. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (15,355)