cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

GeoLocation - how do I set up in a Powerapp?

Hi,

Need a simple step by step guide for a dummie like me.

I have set up/added a column called GeoLocation to my SharePoint list (that part worked). The column shows up in the Fields in the PowerApp.

I would like to use the GPS of the phone and save the location it gives.

How do I go about doing that from here...?

Can I show a map also or do I really need to?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Draax
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,
Put a text field with the text value: Location.Altitude to get the altitude of the device.

Check here for more information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/signals

Also if you're in EU don't forget to run this by HR if you're using the location of an employee.

-Draax

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Draax
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,
Put a text field with the text value: Location.Altitude to get the altitude of the device.

Check here for more information: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/signals

Also if you're in EU don't forget to run this by HR if you're using the location of an employee.

-Draax
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My first stumbling block was using a reserved name for a column - used Location - changed it to Site_Location

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr the beauty of reserved syntac for a start - lesson somewhere to be learnt.

Inserted a text field (Label) and just used the syntax "Location" - the app accepted it as a valid term.

Return the latitude and longitude of the curent location, as a record.

However nothing happened - no values show.

Would you mind sharing a screenshot or your code?

-Draax

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Per attached screen shot.

As a test I put "Connection.Connected" as the text for Label_Location_Cordinates and it returned true.

"Location" is recognised, however Location.Latitude" is not.

The two App Checker are from the GeoLocation per second screen shot.

Is a data connection required for use of the GPS in the phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

And the problem is with the use of the reserved name - "Location"

Yup - once the column is deleted all works well. (I can reinstate a column to capture what is required under a different name - Site_Location - a text entry descriptive feild.

Note to self: Find out the list of all Reserved Names!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Popujol
Regular Visitor

Hi all, 

Could this be adapted to Portal app?

thank you

Pierre-Olivier

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,924)