Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kosenurm
Helper V
Helper V

Geolocation when on a VPN

Hi 

I have an app whereby the user's location is obtained using the standard Longitude and Latitude Location commands. 

However, when the user is on a VPN (and at other times), it doesn't display their location correctly. Is there an alternative to get geolocation / Premium Connector?

Thanks

K.

5 REPLIES 5
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kosenurm ,

Location.Latitude and Location.Longitude should be independent of any network - are you saying you are getting a different result on a VPN?

Kosenurm
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @WarrenBelz 

Yes, but it's intermittent. Sometimes the result is accurate, and sometimes it's widely inaccurate - showing 2 miles away from desired location (using the Harversine formula) when it's actually 70+.  

I was thinking it could be the VPN... or firewall?

Thanks

K.

HI @Kosenurm ,

Sorry, lost for answers as we do not use a VPN, but we do thousands of locations monthly looking for power poles which are always very accurate down to a few metres.

BCLS776
Super User
Super User

@Kosenurm, try checking the device's Location settings - this sounds like a hardware issue. Some devices use wifi signals as a way to locate and that method is imprecise. See if your device has a choice to use GPS/ GNSS only, which will give the best positioning as long as you have relatively unobstructed view of the sky. GPS does not perform well underground or in/near urban canyon.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

@Kosenurm ,

Please note @BCLS776 's comments - I never thought of that as my users as under open sky generally away from all of that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,924)