cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Get Image from URL

Hello,

I'm building a simple app, which shows news from different websites, such as https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/28/transferwise-five-unicorns/

My source is a database with news URLs.

Each article comes with an associated image., but I do not have a URL of the image, only URL of news itself.

My question is, how can I get the associated image to appear in my Gallery? Is there a function I could use?

Help please,

Thanks!

Maciej

Ps. I know this can be done because SharePoint News webpart and all rss readers automatically pull the right image from URL.. but how?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @Maciej_N ,

I'm afraid that PowerApps does not support parsing HTML metadata for web sites.

the workaround is to extract the image link on your own and save it into the Excel table.

Hope this helps.

Sik

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Maciej_N, What you are trying to achieve is not possible directly by using Power Apps capabilities. Power Apps will not be able to parse the web page just by passing the URL and fetch the images from web page. 

I am afraid but you have to do it manually or find some other way to first fetch the image URLs in your excel sheet then you can use it in your app.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it 👍

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

what does your gallery's Items look like?

What is does the sharepoint list look like?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi!

The gallery items include image and labels, see the image attached to my original post.

Data source is an excel file one OneDrive for business, not sharepoint list. My reference to sharepoint was just to point out that it is possible to get image from URL, not that I use it in my app.

Best,

Maciej

Highlighted

Okay, so I have figured out where to find a URL of the image. It is in the metadata of each news website, looks like this:

<meta property="og:image" content="https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/GettyImages-1084518636.jpg?w=764">

Is there a function / formula that could look for this property on the website and return the link??

Best,

Maciej

Highlighted

Hi @Maciej_N ,

I'm afraid that PowerApps does not support parsing HTML metadata for web sites.

the workaround is to extract the image link on your own and save it into the Excel table.

Hope this helps.

Sik

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Maciej_N, What you are trying to achieve is not possible directly by using Power Apps capabilities. Power Apps will not be able to parse the web page just by passing the URL and fetch the images from web page. 

I am afraid but you have to do it manually or find some other way to first fetch the image URLs in your excel sheet then you can use it in your app.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it 👍

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,128)