cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Get unlimited access to ALL PowerApps?

I am the primary administrator for PowerApps for my organization. We had an external company develop some apps, but now we want to take over everything - but I can't access the apps - not even with my admin account.

How do I make sure that I have unlimited access to everything - including development rights?

/Lars

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Get unlimited access to ALL PowerApps?

If they used an internal account to create it or import it, that should be the owner - log in with that account and set someone else as Co-owner. That gets you developer rights, but not ownership. If they used an external account and you were temporarily given access to their tenant then you're going to be out of luck.

Now there's an easy way and a hard way to get the ownership transferred internally.

Easy way: Save the file locally as a .msapp, get rid of the old and open the saved file to save back up to cloud, make sure you do this from a neutral account that you won't lose access to at a later stage.

Hard way (slightly harder depending on accounts and access) - you set an office365 global admin (that has a powerapps plan 2 license) as a co-owner, then you use Office365users and the Powerapps for Admins connector to transfer the ownership of that item:

Get your ID using:

Set(MyID, Office365Users.MyProfileV2().id)

Then Transfer ownership using:

PowerAppsforAdmins.SetAdminAppOwner(environmentName, Name, {newAppOwner: "INSERT YOUR ID STRING HERE", roleForOldAppOwner: "canView"})

It would help to create an app as the global admin with powerapps plan 2 license, so that you can pull all the apps into a gallery, then have a button in each gallery item that performs the above function using the ThisItem.thing to make it easier:

PowerAppsforAdmins.SetAdminAppOwner(ThisItem.properties.environment.name, ThisItem.name, {newAppOwner: myID, roleForOldAppOwner: "canView"})

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Wassini ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Does your external company belong to same Tenant/Org as your current company?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think your external company and your current company are in different Tenant/Organization, is it true?

Currently, within PowerApps, you could only share apps with users or security Groups within your Organization or the whole Org. You could not share apps with external organization.

More details about sharing apps within PowerApps, please check the following article:

Share an app

If your external company and your current company are in different Tenant/Organization, you could not access these apps created in your external company.

If you want to use these apps created within your external company, you could consider ask your external company to export these apps into package files, then share the package files to your current company. On your current company, import these package files into your PowerApps.

More details about exporting or importing canvas app across environments, please check the following blog:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-packaging/

In addition, as an alternative solution, I think the Solution could also achieve your needs. You could ask your external company to create a Solution within their PowerApps, then within this Solution, create their apps. After that, they could export this Solution and share it with your current company, then you could import this Solution within your PowerApps.

More details about Solutions in PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/use-solution-explorer#add-an-ex...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

If they used an internal account to create it or import it, that should be the owner - log in with that account and set someone else as Co-owner. That gets you developer rights, but not ownership. If they used an external account and you were temporarily given access to their tenant then you're going to be out of luck.

Now there's an easy way and a hard way to get the ownership transferred internally.

Easy way: Save the file locally as a .msapp, get rid of the old and open the saved file to save back up to cloud, make sure you do this from a neutral account that you won't lose access to at a later stage.

Hard way (slightly harder depending on accounts and access) - you set an office365 global admin (that has a powerapps plan 2 license) as a co-owner, then you use Office365users and the Powerapps for Admins connector to transfer the ownership of that item:

Get your ID using:

Set(MyID, Office365Users.MyProfileV2().id)

Then Transfer ownership using:

PowerAppsforAdmins.SetAdminAppOwner(environmentName, Name, {newAppOwner: "INSERT YOUR ID STRING HERE", roleForOldAppOwner: "canView"})

It would help to create an app as the global admin with powerapps plan 2 license, so that you can pull all the apps into a gallery, then have a button in each gallery item that performs the above function using the ThisItem.thing to make it easier:

PowerAppsforAdmins.SetAdminAppOwner(ThisItem.properties.environment.name, ThisItem.name, {newAppOwner: myID, roleForOldAppOwner: "canView"})

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

I have created a special account on our tenant for them to develop this. I'm just totally baffled by the fact that I, as an administrator, does not have totally and full control of everything going on, on our platform.

I would expect that e.g. all PowerApps would be listed so I could manage it. This way - with all this personal, hidden and secret sites and apps, just means that Sharepoint and Powerapps are not getting implemented in our organization.

We really need a centralized management tool.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,594)