cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get version number or release date of the app

Is there any way to get the current version number or release date of your app using a formula?  It would be really good to get metadata about the app using formulae, similar to the User object.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Lachlan_w
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello,

You can now do most of this using the PowerApps for App Makers connection.

I've written a blog outling how to get the version number into you app. You can find that here.

While researching the topic I saw a lot of the metadata you are after was included in the dataset retrived when you run the get versions function.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lachlan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi xx,

Currently, we could get the version number or release date in web.powerapps.com, on an app tile, click the ellipsis (. . .), and then click Details.

It seems that there is no function can be used to get the version number or release date.

Please consider to create an idea at PowerApps Ideas Forum, I will collect and report it from my side.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lachlan_w
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello,

You can now do most of this using the PowerApps for App Makers connection.

I've written a blog outling how to get the version number into you app. You can find that here.

While researching the topic I saw a lot of the metadata you are after was included in the dataset retrived when you run the get versions function.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lachlan

Building on the solution in the blog above I found a nice neat little way of getting a "v6.7" label in my app.PowerApps Version Number.JPG

I just built all the original functions in the video linked above into the one button:

ClearCollect(myAppVersions,PowerAppsforAppMakers.GetAppVersions(appID));
ClearCollect(myAppVersionsv2,Ungroup(myAppVersions, "value"));
ClearCollect(myAppVersionsv3, Filter(myAppVersionsv2, properties.lifeCycleId="Published"));

Then I setup a new label with the text:

"v" &
//count number of rows in myAppVersionv3
CountRows(myAppVersionsv3) &
"." &
//Need to remove the "T" and "Z" from the version name (which is really just a time stamp)
//Count the number of rows in myAppVersionv2, where the name is greater (aka newer) than the last published version
CountIf(myAppVersionsv2, Value(Substitute(Substitute(name, "T", ""), "Z", "")) > Value(Substitute(Substitute(First(myAppVersionsv3).name, "T", ""), "Z", "")))

This label counts the number of published versions as the leading version number

It then counts the number of saved, unpublished (aka "draft") versions since the last published version as the trailing number

Thanks,

Lachy

Where is the video ?

@Lachlan_w wrote:

Hello @lachlan_hughes , i have followed your video step by step. i have around 170 version of update in my app

i am trying to setup the app version , i followed all the steps but in my case result is not correct.

This is what i am writing on button on select

Set(appnumber,GUID("****************"))
ClearCollect(myAppVersion,PowerAppsforMakers.GetAppVersions(appnumber))
ClearCollect(myAppVersionUngropped,Ungroup(myAppVersion,"value"))
Set(PublishedVersion,LookUp(myAppVersionUngropped,properties.lifeCycleId="Published").properties.appVersion);
ClearCollect(MyPublishedVersion,Filter(myAppVersionUngropped,properties.appVersion<=PublishedVersion));

and on display html label 

"<b>Current Version: </b>"&CountRows(MyPublishedVersion)

SachinG31_0-1631787997374.png

Where is the mistake, i have tried same formula for another App having 30 version for that it gives  correct result.Just now i tried for one more app and it gives correct result , for version less than100, it works but for after it does not , i guess , BUT WHY???

SnowFlake
Advocate II
Advocate II

@SachinG31  I hit the same issue,
It may be an API throttling limit: Power Apps for Makers - Connectors | Microsoft Docs

Name Calls Renewal Period

API calls per connection10060 seconds

My App is currently on version 212 and I only get 100 results. 

rbunge
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Appears 100 is the max it returns -- even when Page Size (flow) or $top (canvas app) parameters are used.

I had seen the API call limitation, but isn't it just one call that's made to get the table of versions? Otherwise seems you'd never be able to get more than 100, since there is a 60-second renewal period.

Hopefully someone from -msft will scan this thread and reply. I've had to stop using the number of the version, and instead use the published date, as that appears to correctly display the most recent published date.

Would also be nice if in the metadata that comes over we had the actual version number as it's displayed in the Versions tab, as opposed to having to CountRows to arrive at the version number.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,127)