cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr0bb0
Frequent Visitor

Getting PowerApps data into on-prem SQL server table without using the SQL Server connector

Hi all,

I work for a very large organisation and we are unsure as to whether we can cover the licensing fees involved with premium connectors.

I was wondering if there was anyway I can write the fields from a PowerApps form straight to an on-prem SQL server table.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mr0bb0 

There is no way to write fields into a on-prem SQL Server table without a premium license.

Many users here have floated ideas to workaround this licensing issue, none of which have particularly worked in practice.

Without a premium license, the best avenue to explore would be to save your data into SharePoint, or some other data source that uses standard connector, and to create some process outside of PowerApps to move that data into your SQL Server database.

Mr0bb0
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that timl.

I've just been looking into the patch function. This seems to write to SQL server from PowerApps, does this also need a SQL connector?

timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mr0bb0 

Yes, the patch function also accesses SQL Server through the SQL connector, and therefore also requires a premium license.

The other point to mention is that because you are using an on-prem instance of SQL Server, this requires the on premises gateway and using this will always require a premium license.

Mr0bb0
Frequent Visitor

Thanks again timl,

Do you know if the premium connector would only be required for the developer or for all users?

timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mr0bb0 

The premium connector would be required for all users.

Mr0bb0
Frequent Visitor

Thanks again,

Unfortunately I don't think that is going to be an option as we have several thousand staff.

Microsoft's pricing is confusing and doesn't seem best suited to catering for large companies .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Check out the New Ideas Site

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,802)