cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ali80
Frequent Visitor

Getting an Object must implement IConvertible error

Hi All,

I have an form that, amongst other things, shows a dropdown list of Regions and Countries. Details of this form include:

• The countries displayed depend on the region selected (i.e. if the Americas is chosen, then it will show countries like Brazil, USA etc. and not Japan for example).
  • The Regions and countries list are stored in a collection generated in `OnStart`.  
  • The data is saved to a SP List that has these fields set up as `Single Line text`.
  • The data is saved using the `Update` property of the controls. 

When i try to submit my form I get an IConvertible error. Not sure what that is but I suspect that one of my dropdowns is causing this (the Regions one is my guess).  Screenshots below:

The error message:

qownnotes-media-aqHDvP.png

Code that might help :

How Items property of Region dropdown is displayed:

qownnotes-media-VmjdBN.png

Update property of Region dd:

qownnotes-media-ZSUtPg.png

Items property of Country dropdown:

qownnotes-media-RazzSc.png

Update property of Country dd:

qownnotes-media-BvEKhQ.png

I have no clue how to decipher this error or convert this appropriately. As always, any help is appreciated!. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ali80
Frequent Visitor

So I eventually gave in and re-did the entire process of adding a dropdown from scratch - and lo and behold it now works!

I have no clue why however, I did exactly what I did before - but I can't complain, it works is what matters.  For those wondering what process I followed I found a video that basically recreates the same steps I use for creating a cascading dropdown (SubmitForm ver.) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzpjq008cBY

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
timl
Super User
Super User

@ali80 

If I had to take a guess, I'd say that this is the culprit.

timl_0-1651869946279.png

I'd try changing that like so to see if it makes a difference:

usr_Region_dd.Selected.Name
ali80
Frequent Visitor

Hi @timl 

Thanks for replying! I tried changing it to .Name but still getting an error. 

ali80_0-1651915687067.png

The only option I see after adding a dot on the word selected is `Result` which (I assume) has to do with the fact that I alphabetically sorted the region list. The results of the sort is stored in one column called `Results` - Im just not sure how to write back the results into the SP List. 

timl
Super User
Super User

@ali80 

If you set it to this, do you still get the same error?

usr_Region_dd.Selected.Result

ali80
Frequent Visitor

@timl  - No not the same error. If I change it to ...Selected.Result I get an `Expected Record value.` error.

ali80_0-1651919861158.png

timl
Super User
Super User

"Expected record value" sounds as though Power Apps thinks that the region field is a lookup. Can you confirm that Region is definitely a 'single line of text' field?

ali80
Frequent Visitor

Hi timl 

In Sharepoint? it's definitely set as a `Single line` field. right now Im trying to find a way to take the Result table's ... result... and shove it into a variable or something that I can then use to save back into the SP list.  

ali80
Frequent Visitor

So I eventually gave in and re-did the entire process of adding a dropdown from scratch - and lo and behold it now works!

I have no clue why however, I did exactly what I did before - but I can't complain, it works is what matters.  For those wondering what process I followed I found a video that basically recreates the same steps I use for creating a cascading dropdown (SubmitForm ver.) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzpjq008cBY

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,683)