Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EliasMerabet
Advocate II
Advocate II

Give Access to Power APP and its Sharepoint List problem

Hello Team,

After share my Power APP with my colleagues, I had to grant access to them to a few Sharepoint Lists. I manage the access to the lists inside the APP. But If the user get the Sharepoint List URL, doesn´t he change the lists outside the app? That could be problematic for me.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Unfortunately, that is the way Power Apps is designed to work.  Power Apps is not a security layer so users need to have whatever permissions are necessary in the app for the back end data source.  You can't use SharePoint as a data source without giving users access to SharePoint.  So yes, if they get the URL for the list they would be able to bypass the app and make changes directly.  That's the way its designed to work and there is no real way to get around that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365 and PWR EduCon in Chicago
EduCon Chicago 2022

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Unfortunately, that is the way Power Apps is designed to work.  Power Apps is not a security layer so users need to have whatever permissions are necessary in the app for the back end data source.  You can't use SharePoint as a data source without giving users access to SharePoint.  So yes, if they get the URL for the list they would be able to bypass the app and make changes directly.  That's the way its designed to work and there is no real way to get around that.

EduCon Chicago 2022

EliasMerabet
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thanks @Pstork1 

EliasMerabet
Advocate II
Advocate II

Does it happen the same with a SQL connection? @Pstork1 

Not quite the same. The SQL connector uses a connection account with an embedded ID and password.  The user has access to the connection in Power Apps, but not outside.  So if they have access to create apps in Power Apps they can use the connection to create their own app.  But they have no direct access to SQL outside the Power App.

EduCon Chicago 2022

@Pstork1 Great! Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Government Carousel

New forum: GCC, GCCH, DoD - Federal App Makers (FAM)

In response to the unique and evolving requirements of the United States public sector, Microsoft has created Power Apps US Government.

Users online (1,964)