cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allyseh
Helper I
Helper I

Global Option Set "data type unsupported for evaluation"

I'm working on an app that displays an edit form connected to a D365 entity called 'Contact Ext (NAC)'. Many of the fields are local option sets and I've had no trouble accessing those values in combo boxes, but several fields use one global option set called 'Year List', that should display a list of years to choose from. The Items property of my combo boxes is set to  Choices('Year List'), and I am getting the error "data type unsupported for evaluation". What is the correct way to acces the values of a global option set?

3 REPLIES 3
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @allyseh ,

This formula should work as expected. Check if you have created the form correctly following the blog below:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/option-sets-and-many-to-many-relationships-for-canvas-app...

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-monli-msft , 

Thank you for responding. I read through the article several times, and I think I am still not understanding. If I create a gallery with the Items property set to my 'Contact Ext (NAC)' entity and the title field set to ThisItem.'Joined NAC', I can see the year entered for an already existing entity. My problem is that  I don't want to just display the year. I need to have a combo box in an edit form (not connected to any gallery), where a user can select the year for each of several fields including 'Joined NAC', 'Joined PLC', 'Emeritus Year', etc.  I am still getting errors.

globaloptionseterrors.PNG

This is what my 'Joined NAC' field within the 'Contact Ext (NAC)' entity and 'Year List' of OptionSets look like:

joinednac.PNG                 yearlist.PNG

Please help me understand what I still need to change.

Hi @v-monli-msft , 

I still need help in resolving this issue. We have many global option sets that we will need to be able to access in this and future apps, and I have been unable to find syntax that works. With my 'Year List' global option set, if I start typing 'Year List'. in the items property of a combo box, a list of the year values is displayed, showing that the data is there. But if I set the property to Choices('Year List'), I am still getting an error. Is there another way to access the values of this global option set?

yearListvals.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,186)