cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike2500
Super User
Super User

Granting access to rows to a an external user and all of their coworkers

When an external user creates a row, I'd like all external users (that the app has been shared with) to have access to that row. For example, when user1@othercompany.com creates a row, no one else should have read access, except for any other user with an othercompany.com address. 

And this needs to be security, not just hiding rows via a PowerApps filter (as the user would still have access to the SharePoint list). 

I could create a sharepoint group for each external company, keep the group up to date, and  use a flow to assign permission to the group. That's a lot of extra admin overhead though.

I don't know much about power apps portals, but perhaps there are additional options there? I could configure a filter so that only matching rows appeared, but the filter options seem to be limited, in that filters seem to need to have a hard-coded value. Is there a way to filter it so that the filter returns rows where the currentrow.emaildomain = currentuser.emaildomain?

SQL would work, but the number of pro licenses to support all the external users would be a no-go.

Thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
Sid_Jafri
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Mike2500 

You can restrict sharepoint list for users who created the records, so they can't see or modify any other user record but if you want to assign to group then you have to go to permission settings and row level setting which is definitely lot of work. Please see attached how you can restrict sharepoint list for the specific user.

Please Thumbs up if my post helped you solve your issue and accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Thanks, I know about the sharepoint option, but that wouldn't work in this case as more than one user needs access to each row. Manually keeping up with row-level permissions would be a no-go.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,219)