cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Satyajit

Groupby Year for a date field in excel table

Hi, I am new PowerApps. I need your help. I want to build a chart to show number of associates joined on each year. In excel table, I have date of join field. I am using following query, but it is not giving me desire result (in fact showing some error - The GroupBy is having invalid argument. Expecting number, but having text value). Can you please help me by pointing out where I am doing wrong?

AddColumns(
    GroupBy(
        hctable,
        Year(DateValue(Date_of_Join_Org)),
        "joindate"
    ),
    "Countofassociates",
    CountRows(joindate)
)

Here, hctable is the table name, Date_of_Join_Org is the field having various dates in mm/dd/yyyy format.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When I want the data to show in a chart I put it in a collection and then set that collection for the items of the chart. 

Screens OnVisible:

ClearCollect(CollYearCount,

AddColumns(GroupBy(AddColumns(hctable, "Year", Year(Date_of_Join_Org)),"Year","GrpByYear")

,"CountYear",CountRows(GrpByYear)))

So you put that on the screens OnVisible (then click to another screen and back so it is created) and then you can put in your chart and set the Items of it to CollYearCount

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rebeccas
Super User
Super User

Try this: 

For your Gallery Items:

GroupBy(AddColumns(hctable, "Year", Year(Date_of_Join_Org)),"Year","GrpByYear")

Then in your gallery you can have a label that is : ThisItem.Year (if you want)

From there you can refer it it...example:

Label = CountIf(hctable, Year(Date_of_Join_Org)=ThisItem.Year)

I use sharepoint so it does not need the DateValue() part, not sure if you do for excel.

Thank you Rebecca. I could implement this using the gallery. However, not able to bring that as Pie Chart (or any other chart form). Further help will be appreciated.

When I want the data to show in a chart I put it in a collection and then set that collection for the items of the chart. 

Screens OnVisible:

ClearCollect(CollYearCount,

AddColumns(GroupBy(AddColumns(hctable, "Year", Year(Date_of_Join_Org)),"Year","GrpByYear")

,"CountYear",CountRows(GrpByYear)))

So you put that on the screens OnVisible (then click to another screen and back so it is created) and then you can put in your chart and set the Items of it to CollYearCount

View solution in original post

Thanks for the help. It really worked

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (70,452)