cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Guest Access with Canvas App

I've got an app that uses Flows which pull data from an on-premise SQL server. I've then shared this app with two guest users, one with a @gmail.com address and the other with a @mailfence.com address. The gmail account is able to run the app without any issues. The mailfence account runs into a "The app didn't start correctly. Try refreshing your browser. If the app worked previously, try opening with a previous version of the web player." error with  Session ID: e13e84f6-e94a-4c31-963f-791090de6283.

I've tried clearing the cache and using different browsers but still end up with errors with the mailfence account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Final Update for everyone: I had a great chat with @alaugMSFT about a current gap with providing guest access to PowerApps. The short of it is that the guest user needs to be authenticated either by Microsoft Accounts, Azure Active Directory or External Azure Active Directory.

The reason why I was able to log in using my google account was because I have used that in the past as my username when I created a Microsoft Account (shout out to all my Halo 2 warthog drivers).

It doesn't appear that this is going to be resolved in the near time, but if you find yourself wanting to create something beyond the capabilities of a Portal app but still want to grant access to those without a Microsoft associated account, then go and vote for Be able to share my apps with people out of my organization and guest people (Potential clients) 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Have you assigned a license to the guest users?

You are able to share canvas apps to guests, however they need a power apps licence as listed here 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BegeNCSU ,

Did you make sure that you have followed below documentation step-by-step?

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/share-canvas-apps-with-guests-in-your-organization/

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

Thanks @v-monli-msft  and @rtenklooster for your quick replies, unfortunately I've followed those exact steps in both cases. In the off chance I missed anything before, I created a new guest user [guest user accepted invite], added a PowerApps 2 Trial License and then shared the app with that user [Clicked on link shared in email sent to guest user] and ended up with the same error. Here are the two session IDs I get, first when encountering the previous error with the subtext of trying to use an older version of the web player and the second after I try the older version of the web player.

Session ID: 383939ef-53a4-4fd7-9d3d-d94a3ac07d71
Session ID: dff482e4-8bbb-4d39-ab72-f62b0cd22054

GuestAccess.jpg

Highlighted

To provide some more context, I've created an app without any connections and shared it to a guest user that has a PowerApps Plan 2 Trial license and I still get the same "The app didn't start correctly, try refreshing your browser."

Session ID: fe73f898-6f4d-4199-ba9f-f1467c52c00f

Session ID: e04bc153-37f4-49e0-aa4d-591ceaf955a5 (after clearing the cache and restarting browser)

Highlighted

The testing continues, I created a new guest account using an Outlook.com email address. That guest user has the same success as the Google guest account did, but the Protonmail and Mailfence accounts are still getting the same errors as before.

Session ID: f9d34acf-3d66-4419-b770-6a5b69e69e98

Highlighted

Final Update for everyone: I had a great chat with @alaugMSFT about a current gap with providing guest access to PowerApps. The short of it is that the guest user needs to be authenticated either by Microsoft Accounts, Azure Active Directory or External Azure Active Directory.

The reason why I was able to log in using my google account was because I have used that in the past as my username when I created a Microsoft Account (shout out to all my Halo 2 warthog drivers).

It doesn't appear that this is going to be resolved in the near time, but if you find yourself wanting to create something beyond the capabilities of a Portal app but still want to grant access to those without a Microsoft associated account, then go and vote for Be able to share my apps with people out of my organization and guest people (Potential clients) 

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,816)