Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pricilla
Helper IV
Helper IV

HOW TO UPDATE AN ITEM IN SHAREPOINT THROUGH POWER APPS

Hi,

I have time tracker power apps working good, as of now an entry by a user will create an item in sharepoint list, there is a scenario wherein people might want to update their entry for example today, if they try to do that it is creating as another item in the list that is two entries for a day, how to overcome this problem, should i make any changes in my patch function, how  to update the existing record for that particular day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Pricilla 

I just posted the other day a complete time tracker app video that addresses that exact issue.  You might want to take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Pricilla 

I just posted the other day a complete time tracker app video that addresses that exact issue.  You might want to take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

hi @RandyHayes,

That was a great video, learnt lot of things from it, i tried applying that to my app but mine seems to be bit more complicated,

in your application an item is created in sharepoint list for each activity type selected, in my app there might be a change only in one field example the meeting hours gets changed after making an entry for the day so how to update that alone, is it possible to do that or to update an entry one should enter all the values again, i started with power apps just a couple of months ago not sure what are the things that can possibly be done in this scenario, my requirement is not to create multiple items for a day even if the users updates any field in the app

Pricilla_0-1601907501164.png

@Pricilla 

Did you view the entire video?  Toward the end I put in the ability to update a single entry.  Even though mine is based on only altering the time value, you can expand on that to include any other values you wish to update.  So if you had a project hours and meeting hours in the record, you could simply display those and then update accordingly.

@ , sorry my bad, i missed out the last 10mins, am getting the below warning, my record date column type is date

If the date is equal to the selected date picker date & if the user's mail ID matches i want to update the item in SharePoint list, can you please help me

2020-10-07 16-02-50_PDEC Time Tracker - Saved (Unpublished) - Power Apps.jpg

@Pricilla 

No worries - I know those videos can get a little long and put one to sleep 😉

So, double check your Record Date column.  According to that message, it is not a Date Column.  If it is, then try to refresh your datasource (left datasource pane in designer, triple dots, refresh).  If that doesn't resolve it, then send a screenshot of your column definition from SharePoint list settings.

@RandyHayes , the warning message is now gone, but the data is not getting updated in the sharepoint list, I just inserted an icon to update the existing record & have the following lines of code, i did not insert the scrollable screen is that the reason its not updating in the sharepoint list

Pricilla_0-1602229410717.png

@Pricilla 

No, you are most likely not updating any record because the dates are not matching.

What type of column is 'record date' in your list?

@RandyHayes , sorry it was a text column, now its working, thanks alot for helping me!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (81,012)