cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Help With Barcode App

Hi there,

I am currently working on a little project using PowerApps as I learn to use it and I am stuck on building a clocking in/out app and wondering if anyone could help. My App is fairly simple but I wonder if I am not actually able to do what i am trying to make powerapps and flow do at the moment. 

At the moment, an Admin user can login to the App and go a new user screen. The New user screen really just needs a first name and last name field and then to generate a barcode so that it can be printed on site. So, at the moment, I have tried to do this by generating a random number and then using the Right function to create a unique 8 digit number. The number is then concatentated in a string with a URl that creates somethign like this:

Concatenate("http://barcodes4.me/barcode/c39/", Right((Text(Rand())),8),".jpg?width=400&height=200")

This URL is actually a web service that creates a jpeg of the barcode. At the moment it is in a text field.

I am using an Excel spreadsheet on onedrive as my datasource. I have set up an email enabled printer in my office. So the idea is to somehow get the image that the URL creates and then attach it to an email in flow and send it to the email address associated with the printer. In Flow I have created a variable for powerapps to use and I can set the variable to the URL. I realise this probably was not going to work as sure enough it just created an attachment with the URL 🙂 that was sent to the printer.

I then went down the route of adding an image control into power apps and setting the datafield value to my text label which has the URL in. Again this didnt work. As I am new to Powerapps, I am struggling to work out if there is anyway to scrape the image from the webpage that generates the Barcode so that I can attach it to the email. If anyone has any good ideas please let me know! 🙂

thanks for any help

Paul

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Re: Help With Barcode App

Hello Paulow1978,

You can try to add an image control (Image1) to your app and set the Image property of Image1 to
Image1.Image = Concatenate("http://barcodes4.me/barcode/c39/", Right((Text(Rand())),8),".jpg?width=400&height=200")

Then you can try to search online how you can save images from powerapps to the database that you use. 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Paulow1978,

How do you create a barcode image on your side? Based on the concatenated URL?

I don't agree with @Mike8's thought almost. When I add the concatenated URL string within the Image control, it could generate a barcode image, but the Image1.Image formula would still return a URL string rather than a image blob data.

Note: The Iamge1 represents the Image control.

Currently, there is no way to scrape the image from the webpage that generates the Barcode directly within PowerApps.

If you want to pass the generated barcode image to your flow, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

ah ok. I had a feeling this might now be possible. Thanks for letting me know.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Paulow1978

Just a quick one - could you set up your user database within a Sharepoint List? Sharepoint has a feature you can enable (http://www.sharepointdiary.com/2013/09/enable-barcode-on-sharepoint-2013-2010-2007.html - works for Sharepoint Online as well) whereby any new items added to a list are given a unique Code39 barcode and can then be used to reference individual items (in this case users) within a list/gallery/etc. This process requires no flow and is a native part of Sharepoint if enabled under Information Management and then under properties of the list:
image.png
image.png
image.png

I have set up something like this recently for a large list of properties and was able to get it doing what I wanted:

List in Sharepoint:
image.png
Scanner in PowerApps:
image.png

If you aren't the Sharepoint administrator, you may need to ask your administrator to set this up for you,

Cheers,
@iAm_ManCat

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,335)