Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
serviceflow
Helper I
Helper I

Help With Simple Power App from SharePoint List

Hello All:

New to PowerApps and hoping to shed some light on what seem to be some basic controls. We have a SharePoint List with the following colums:

• Year (Single choice drop down)
  • Quarter (Single choice drop down)
  • Dept_Div (Single choice drop down)
  • Functional Area (Single choice drop down)
  • Description (Text Multiple lines)
  • Score (Single choice drop down)

Want to create a PowerApp presentation that will display all Quarterly Agenda specific to a Dept Div SharePoint site that are applicable to that site. Ability to edit existing records within the SharePoint page is essential. Ie. Overwrite an existing record. Stuck on how to do this and also on how to filter a view in PowerApps to show only records for a given Dept Div. I will then publish that view out to a corresponding site. I have done this successfully in SharePoint with list views generating a ‘view’ and URl and set that view as default for a given site. Can same concept be used in PowerApps or would require say 10 unique apps for say 10 unique views?

Below is what I have going now. Just a gallery connected to a SP list and formatted.

Thanks all!

serviceflow_0-1641567015786.png

11 REPLIES 11
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@serviceflow 

You cannot utilize the views of SharePoint in your app.  However, your app can accommodate for various views of the data in any way that you want.  You would not need to create 10 apps for 10 different views of it, you would just incorporate this into your app.  At a bare minimum (not really recommended, but for example) you could have 10 different screens in your app that format the data differently.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

@RandyHayes ok good to know. So how to make a form that can be edited directly within the SharePoint page? No need to post these overwriting back to the SP list just need to overwrite the records each Quarter. Thx! oh and how to filter by Quater, then Dept Div, etc...

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@serviceflow 

There are (in this case) two different types of apps - Standalone Canvas App and SharePoint Integrated.

Using the SharePoint integration means that your New, Edit and View forms (the standard ones in SharePoint) are replaced with your app.  The app would have a "connection" to the SharePoint list via a SharePointIntegration object.

I am not entirely clear on what your purpose for the app is.  Keeping in mind that the SharePoint Integrated is going to always run when you edit, view or create any records in your list.  It is meant to replace the standard forms with customized forms.  Now, you can still do anything that you want in them.  But you would not have a "single purpose" app in place of the forms as then you'd not be able to create, edit or view records.

Again, not knowing your requirements, it almost sounds like a standalone canvas app would be better as you are hinting at a single specific use.

As for Filtering...you would just specify the criteria in your Filter statement.  

Ex:

Filter(yourDataSource, Quarter=3 && 'Dept Div' = "some department")
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

@RandyHayes thx for this. Lemme get a little more targeted...her's what I have going now...

serviceflow_0-1641569951525.png

Command for UpdateContext is here:

UpdateContext({SortDescending1: !SortDescending1})

Just need a command that will sort my list by Quarter Asscending order...can you help? 

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@serviceflow 

Well, sorting is different than filtering. 

The sorting would be done on the gallery...what is the Items property of your gallery?

@RandyHayes 

SortByColumns(Filter([@Quarterly_Agenda], StartsWith(Title, TextSearchBox1.Text)), "Title", If(Sort, Descending, Ascending))

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@serviceflow 

Okay, so you are already sorting by the Title.  Is it that you want to replace that sorting of the Title in favor of the Quarter, or that you want both?  (if so, please specify the priority, Title then Qtr or Qtr then Title)

Also keep in mind that since you only have one icon for sort order - which will it apply to, the Title or the Qtr?

@RandyHayes 

so yeah, I'd like to sort simple by Quater column values in the order of: Q1,Q2,Q3, then Q4. 

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@serviceflow 

Then all you will need to change is the Items property formula and change Title to your Quarter column name.

i.e.

SortByColumns(
    Filter(Quarterly_Agenda, StartsWith(Title, TextSearchBox1.Text)), 
    "Quarter", 
    If(Sort, Descending, Ascending)
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,528)