Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlprentice
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Help drafting out a survey Power App in SharePoint lists

Hi All,

I’m trying to draft and create a Survey Power App. The datasource will ultimately be dataverse but I am drafting things out in SharePoint to see if any of this is doable to the extent I am thinking.

Questions are like this:

1. Please rate how we did on the following:

Very Unsuccessful

Unsuccessful

Neither Unsuccessful nor Successful

Successful

Very Successful

N/A

Serving you food?

radio

radio

radio

radio

radio

radio

Cleaning your table?

radio

radio

radio

radio

radio

radio

I was thinking of having a few different SharePoint lists to store the data.

• Surveys
    • (Stores the created surveys, and records who should be responding)
  • Survey responses
    • (Creates an initial entry of “Sent” for every Surveyee. Eventually records the responses from the Surveyee if they choose to respond during the Start / End Dates specified on the Surveys list.)
  • Questions
    • (I really don’t know how to input the questions because versioning is a consideration.) Maybe columns [ Title, Question, Answers, Version ].

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@dlprentice 

Yes, your answer list will grow!  It is not a problem as long as you keep everything delegable.  Which it all should be if you are just working with the ID of the Question and the User.  That is where using other column types like Lookup and such can cause you delegation issues down the road.

A likert is pretty easy to design.  It could be as simple as a radio control, or it could be more styled and custom.  At the end of it all, your goal is to capture the selected item the person has chosen, and then record that in the list.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@dlprentice 

Surveys are Very Doable in PowerApps.

Some things you will need to scope out ahead of time...

1) If you are building a "survey engine" that is flexible enough to handle multiple surveys with multiple question types, then you need to take into account a "generic" nature in the answers.  In other words, you would not want to say - "Oh, I have a yes/no question in this survey, so I should put a Yes/No column in my data".  This will lead to a nightmare down the road.  It is best to keep all the answers as text and store as such.

2) Your Survey list would just be a list of survey information.  Your Question list would be a list of questions (not answers) associated WITH a survey (by reference to the Survey ID).  An Answers list would then be associated with a User and with a Question (since the question is associated with a survey, there is no need for the survey ID, but it can also be included to drop out one of the lookups to it later on)

3) What you are trying to do in Survey responses is not really relevant to the survey itself.  This seems more like your "survey management".

I hope this is helpful for you and gets you moving to the next level.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

This is a great response @RandyHayes. On the parts where you say "associated WITH" are you referring to LookUp columns?

As for questions would you just have a Title column with each entry being a question or 1 entry with a column for each question?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@dlprentice 

No...if you are managing the data in the list from your app, you should avoid lookup columns.  In the scenario of SharePoint (and dataverse as well), Lookup columns are there to aid in data interaction when using the interface of that platform.  Since you are NOT using that interface but instead using your app to interact with the data, then you only need to record a record identification (ID).

You would definitely NOT want to have a column for each question.  This will immediately make your list very difficult to manage.  Consider that you build this for 1 survey that has 10 questions and you create 10 columns.  Now, later, you add a survey that has 15 question...would you want to then have to change the list and add the columns and then alter you app to incorporate the columns?  No...you would want your answers list to be very simple...A question ID, a User (or some other relation to the responder), and the answer provided (best in text format always to be generic).

I have a full video on designing and creating a Survey app in PowerApps.  Unfortunately, it is not completed yet and I have been completely out of time to complete it for a long time now.  I wish I had it together as it would answer a lot of your questions and provide you a great roadmap to do what you need.  Perhaps this is a little incentive for me to finish that thing up!

Excellent points, and yes that video sounds like it would be very useful to myself, and others 😉!

@RandyHayes 

I like the idea of a Question ID. I was hoping to have 1 response entry per user but it almost sounds like I need to add a "response" item for every question ID. I suppose that is fine since there is relational data to tie everything together but with ~50 questions per user with ~20-30 respondents per survey you see how quickly my issues scale. The idea is to keep the list clean since Power Automate will migrate all this to dataverse after some time. List should always be below 5000 or 10,000 items at a time.

dlprentice
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@RandyHayes I think I know the criteria for the answer for this post though to be "resolved". How best could I build a Microsoft Forms style "Likert"

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@dlprentice 

Yes, your answer list will grow!  It is not a problem as long as you keep everything delegable.  Which it all should be if you are just working with the ID of the Question and the User.  That is where using other column types like Lookup and such can cause you delegation issues down the road.

A likert is pretty easy to design.  It could be as simple as a radio control, or it could be more styled and custom.  At the end of it all, your goal is to capture the selected item the person has chosen, and then record that in the list.

Okay I think I finally got my head wrapped around this 😅

Survey List - General info about the survey: a few columns

Questions list - List of questions: two columns Question ID, Question

Answers list - List of answers to questions for a survey. Includes data about the submitter

Everything including dates will all be of type text since I can work with all of this in Power Apps.

As for the Likert, it's just a question is some predefined radio choices which can come from its own list. Likert List.

Any of this sound like a disaster? @RandyHayes 

dlprentice
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@RandyHayes I ended up firing up Excel and made some tables to see what makes sense. I understand what you mean by all this now. It needs to be scalable with IDs.

I ended up with 7 Tables in Excel to play with

• Questions
  • Headers
  • Likert Choices
  • Peer Assessment Choices
  • Survey
  • Surveyees
  • Survey Responses

I think I'm in good shape, thanks for the guiding hand posts!

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@dlprentice 

All sounds good.  Hopefully this will move you in the right direction.  I have marked you down to notify when I get the video completed and published!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,539)