cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whats_my_name
Regular Visitor

Help me with authentication (please)

I want to put a PowerApp (or Flow, not exactly sure which yet) into SharePoint. Essentially I want to select an item in a list and do something with it's metadata.

The something I want to do involves POST’ing to a REST endpoint belonging to a web-app which is integrated with AzureAD for authentication.

I am struggling to work out how to authenticate with my PowerApp.

I have created an AppRegistration in AzureAd and enabled the ‘user_impersonation’ API, and Granted Trust to it.
The App is configured as a PublicClient.
So now, when I am *not* using PowerApps

• If I am writing a desktop app in C# with Visual Studio I can call AcquireTokenInteractive (or AcquireTokenSilent) to retrieve an access token providing the AzureAD tenantId, AppId, and Scope.
  • With PowerShell I can do a similar thing using the MSAL.PS wrapper of MSAL, again easy.

The Access Token I am retrieving is a Bearer Token.

I use that Bearer Token to authenticate my called to the web-application’s REST endpoint.

When I am coming in from PowerApps (SharePoint), how do I:
1. Get the user currently signed in to Office365 (optional I guess)
2. Pass the details to AzureAD to Retrieve a token
The same coding paradigms I use above (loading MSAL.dll) does apply here, so what do I do?

13 REPLIES 13

Hi @whats_my_name ,

Do you want to use MSAL (Microsoft Authentication Library) in your canvas app?

Thanks for feedback. Unfortunately, the MSAL (Microsoft Authentication Library) is not supported in PowerApps canvas app currently. I afraid that the needs that you want to achieve has not been released in PowerApps.

If you would like this feature to be released and this feature to be in Roadmap, please consider submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Shan1
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Could you let us know what was the solution approach finally found for this

I wrote a considered reply, but when I hit the reply button it took me to a sign in page and lost my post. 

Frankly I can't be bothered to type it again. 

That is exactly to kind of *****ing useless experience I expect from anything power apps related. 

Hi,

Could you please take time to list approach followed by you that would be helpful.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,287)