Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ErickDiaz
Helper II
Helper II

Help with Integrating a Data Connection within Model-Driven App

Hi All,

I'm new to Power Platform and I'm currently working on a project where I need to use a connection to pre-populate the values of a dropdown list within a model-driven app. What'd be the best approach to accomplish this?

To be more specific, we configured a data gateway and created a connection to our PeopleSoft on-prem database. The goal is to be able to read basic employee information within a dropdown list in a new model-driven app that I'm currently developing.

I appreciate any pointer in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Erick

2 REPLIES 2
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @ErickDiaz 

For a model driven app, you will need to get the data from your PeopleSoft database table into a Dataverse table.  This reference gives the steps for doing this.  They have recently been updated and I believe this is the most recent document for describing how to do it. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/data-platform/create-and-use-dataflows .  You may need to first export your data to an Excel spreadsheet before the import.

Hi @Drrickryp,

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll look further into this. I'm not sure why you are suggesting to export the data to an Excel spreadsheet first, that does concern me as it should be an automated process, i.e. the Dataverse table should be automatically refreshed from PeopleSoft periodically.

Since I'm new to Power Platform, I thought initially about creating a Canvas app to read from the PeopleSoft (Oracle) connector and embed this Canvas app into my Model-Driven app but your solution seems a lot simpler if I can get to automate the whole process.

I'll read the document you shared and mark your answer as the solution if this is something I can work with.

Thanks again for your help and time,

Erick

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

PA Community Call

Power Apps Community Call

Next call is happening on April 21st at 8a PST.

MBAS Carousel

May the fourth be with you, join us online!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (86,253)