Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Help with building a request calendar using sharepoint

Hi,

I am trying to build a "request a car calendar" app using canvas and after some review I thought it was best to connect to a sharepoint calendar, that way I wouldn't need to store or pull any old data.  Additionally I have seen some of the calendar apps suggested online on powerapps that does not offer calendars that show multiple events on each square (day).   I am trying to gauge the community to see if I am going this the right way.  So we will have multiple cars that can be booked at any given time.  And the user would need to go in the app to first see if the car is available for that date, then book it if it is available, or change the date if necessary. 

Since sharepoint has calendars, would it just be simpler for users to access the sharepoint calendar instead?  However, it would require an admin to approve/deny.  Unless there is some auto logic that can be built into a sharepoint calendar?  In that sense, would it be a good idea to have the powerapp do the logic while connecting to sharepoint?  Thank You.    

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Help with building a request calendar using sharepoint

Hi @UC3378 ,

The essence of Apps is information processing, information is stored in the table. The SharePoint calendar is also a list/table for storing events essentially. No matter which data source you choose, its purpose is simply to store data, and ultimately all user-facing interactions are implemented in PowerApps. Therefore, it makes no sense to focus on the choice of data source type, which is only used for data carrier, and data modeling and functional implementation are more important.

Sik

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

You can only set one Items for a Gallery but I don't think that matters for what you need...you just need a common field which would be the date.

My icon that shows if there is an item scheduled that day has its visible as:

CountRows(Filter(SPListName, DateValue(Text(SPColumnStartDate)) = DateAdd(_firstDayInView, ThisItem.Value, Days)))>0

So it is showing if there is anything on my SharePoint list that the date matches this item inside the gallery - ThisItem.Value is referring to the row/column of the gallery it is inside

Then for the details that pop up (my second gallery which I don't have as a sub gallery, but should work the same)

Filter(SPListName, Text(SPColumnStartDate) = Text(_DateSelected, ShortDate))

Point being that my gallery filters to show off the date but it is still looking to my sharepoint list for its information. I believe you could do the same on a subgallery. Yours would probably be more like:

Items= Filter(SPListName, Text(SpColumnStartDate) = Text(ThisItem.Value))

or something similar to that...I didn't test that to be 100%

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@UC3378 

Whilst it's not the solution you are thinking of you could use the 'Book a Room' app for this. I was playing around with it last week and noticed that it pulled through Cars that someone in my organisation had set up as 'rooms'. Booking a car was a simple as booking a room and it sync to my Outlook calendar. Might be worth a look?

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @UC3378 ,

The essence of Apps is information processing, information is stored in the table. The SharePoint calendar is also a list/table for storing events essentially. No matter which data source you choose, its purpose is simply to store data, and ultimately all user-facing interactions are implemented in PowerApps. Therefore, it makes no sense to focus on the choice of data source type, which is only used for data carrier, and data modeling and functional implementation are more important.

Sik

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

@v-siky-msft ,

Thanks.  I guess my question or concern was more with sharepoint then with powerapps.  I will need to have a talk with our sharepoint admin to have the calendar set up first.  

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

@Eelman ,

So all the bookings that are done in your org will populate in your outlook calendar?   Would it be better for it to be done on a sharepoint calendar vs your own outlook calendar, since sharepoint is shared?  Or it does not matter since its just a place to store?  

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@UC3378 

I think for Booking A Room using the originators' Outlook calendar works best, however, after thinking about a car booking calendar I think you are correct in saying it'd best on a shared calendar.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

@Eelman ,

I was able to connect to my outlook calendar, but the gallery is listing the calendar.  Is there a way to display it as an actual whole calendar with dated boxes of the whole month at a time? Thanks

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@UC3378 

I've just found a Leave/Travel Calender on our SharePoint site that very few people were using so I've connected a phone app to it. It took me around 1-2 hrs to tidy up and test but it's up and running now. I just used the standard, off-the-shelf mobile app and pointed it at my calendar.

I decided it would be too much work to build out the calendar style design in an App with the ability to show multiple events so I just added some buttons to view the calendar in either Teams or SharePoint.

I think that if you want that 'multiple event view' then you probably need to do it using a gallery inside each gallery item, not sure? Anyway, that sounded to hard hence Plan B 🙂 

Browse screen of the app:

LeaveApp_Browse.jpg

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

@Eelman,

Thanks for sharing.  What is Teams just curious?  So if you click on sharepoint, it shows the sharepoint calendar, and if you click on Teams it shows another calendar from "Teams"?  So everyone is actually doing the booking in sharepoint instead of inside the phone app?  The app is just for viewing?  

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@UC3378 

The SharePoint button opens the calendar in SP ie in your browser and the Teams button opens/displays the same SP calendar but in the Teams platform.

MS Teams is Microsoft's new collaboration platform where you can chat, do video meetings, share files and also use heaps of different apps inside the platform. The idea is that when you start work you log into your Team and do all your work there. Our business isn't there yet but we are working towards doing that.

Re the App use, users can use the app to make, delete, add new or edit an event OR click the buttons and do the same in Teams/SharePoint. Most users I spoke to said they'll do most/all they want inside the app. The buttons are really only there so users can view the events in a calendar - and I don't have to create a calendar in PAs.

Like I said above, the app is a the standard app which PA generates for you with screens:

Browse: users can search by names, sort by date, scroll the events gallery, select an item to View or create a New event

View: view a selected item then delete or edit if req'd

Edit/New: add a new event or edit an existing one

The screen I shared is just the Browse screen, users use the '+' icon to add new events. So, the app can do everything a users would do in SP just not display as a calendar, if that makes sense?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,589)