cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RussellGove
Level 10

How Gat valid values for a sharepoint Choice field

Hi, I have  a powerapp that lets a user edit data in a sharepoint list. One of the fields in the list is aa Choice field with a large number of choices (30 or so). Srolling  It gets rendered in the powerapp as a dropdown. Scrolling the dropdown in the powerapp is difficult for some users. the field is called AreaVisited, The list/datasource is called 'Visible Felt Leadership'

I want to make it so that when the user taps on the AreaVisited control on EditScreen1 a new screen called SelectArea is opened, the SelectArea screen would have a gallery of all the areas. The user taps the area he wants  and the selectArea will place the selected value in the  AreaVisited control on EditScreen1 and navigate back there,

My question is: in the SelectArea screen how do I get all the possible values (the choices) of AreaVisited?

3 REPLIES 3
RussellGove
Level 10

Re: How Gat valid values for a sharepoint Choice field

found it:

Choices('Visible Felt Leadership'.AreaVisited)

Rebetcha
Level 10

I don't think there is a way to directly get you choices and store them in a gallery. I think you have a couple of options:

• Create a collection on start up of your app with all the choices and put the items in your collection in the gallery. If you add a new choice in the choice list you have to update the app too.
  • Have a look at the different types of field formats you have on your edit form if another type works better. Also know that typing in PowerApp filters your choices and prevents against accesive scroling.https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/working-with-cards
  • Change your choice column to a Lookup column that references a second SharePoint that contains all the choices. Add this list as a data source to the PowerApp and connect it to the gallery. You have to add some formulas to be able to get the correct link between items from both lists. 
Rebetcha
Level 10

Nice. Good to know it is possible after all.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,144)