cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave8
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

How can I decide if I should create Power Apps Portal App or Canvas App?

Hello,

I require to create an app with following listed requirements, I was wondering how can I decide if I should create Canvas App or Power Apps Portal App?

Major requirement is as follows:

• App should open and aligned with any device of any screen size.
  • App should be shared with External user.
  • App should have anonymous access.

Can you help?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

The requirement of external users and anonymous access would indicate the need for a Power Apps Portal. You will need a Portal add-on license to cover external Authenticated users and Unauthenticated (anonymous) users.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
ganeshsanap
Super User
Super User

@dave8  For your requirements, you should use Power Apps portals.

Power Apps Portals help you create external-facing websites that allow users outside your organization to sign in with a wide variety of identities, create and view data in Dataverse, or even browse content anonymously.

For more information on types of Power Apps, refer: Overview of creating apps in Power Apps 

Please click Accept as solution & ‌‌👍 if my answer helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. If the answer was useful in other ways, please consider giving it ‌‌👍

dave8
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @ganeshsanap @Jeff_Thorpe 

Thank you for your time and response here!

Could you please share following:

1. What are the prerequisites to convert portal into Production?
  2. Does it require any specific license/role for users who are accessing portal?
  3. Can I disable anonymous access of portal when required?
  4. When I try to register in portal with external account, it says as follows - does it mean, every portal app has to be granted with permission in the external organization in Azure AD? if yes, what is the process?
  5. Portal1.png
  6. How can I customize Portal app as canvas app without writing manual code for CSS/components?

Thanks,

dave8
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I see that canvas app can be shared with AD Guest user, then what is the need of creating Portal app?

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,428)