cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How can we set a canvas app component "only view" in a solution?

Hi Power Apps Community,

I have an issue below:

When adding an existing canvas app component into a solution, I expected to see an option where I can set that component "read only" so that when a customer uses my solution, they can not edit that canvas app.

However, in Power Apps, I could not find such a setting or option to do that.

Could you please help show me where I can set a canvas app component "read only"?

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 7.03.12 PM.png

Thank you in advance,

Nhan

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: How can we set a canvas app component "only view" in a solution?

so what you are looking for is a managed solution--that's not set when you add components to a solution, it is set when you export the solution--if you choose managed solution, that controls what can be edited.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/solutions-overview#known-limita...

see the managed solution properties of the above link.

Note that there are currently some gaps with this--you can add flows and canvas apps to managed solutions, but there are currently some things that need to be updated after moving the apps, such as connection strings, which adds to the unmanaged layer. Expect to see these gaps addressed in the upcoming updates.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @jlindstrom,

I exported the solution with Managed type.

solution_1.PNG

After that, I deleted the current unmanaged solution I exported and the canvas app component in the production environment as well.

So in order to test if the managed solution I exported before can keep the canvas app read-only, I imported that managed solution into the same environment

solution_2.PNG

For my observation, there seems to be inconsistency in the way the canvas app is handled in terms of management

In the solution, the canvas app is managed. The signal is that Edit menu item is disabled.

solution_3.png

But in the Apps list, when checking the canvas app, Edit menu item is active.

solution_4.png

Could you please help explain why there is inconsistency there? 

I also thought that it may be because I have imported the solution in the same environment. But I am not sure about that.

Thanks,

Nhan

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

The inconsistencies are the gaps I mentioned in my original answer. Solutions have been around a long time but canvas apps in solutions are only about a year old.

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/solutions-overview#managed-prop... for a list of some of the current limitations.

based on my experience the edit button will still be there as people will still need to make updates to the connections in the apps, etc, but significant changes should be prohibited as is exporting the solution out from where it is imported.

in the near future as they add the ability to specify the connection on solution import you should see the ability to edit the app in a managed solution go away.

btw this is the main reason that Microsoft partners and ISV’s are not selling a bunch of canvas app based products in app source—there is no real way to protect your canvas apps, but that is quickly changing. Step one was to make canvas apps and flows solution ready and the second step is to close the ALM gaps.

if you want to release an app that is fully managed solution ready and locked down today, you may want to consider a model driven app. Model driven apps in a solution are not editable in the target environment.

but whatever you do, back up your source code in an unmanaged solution, don’t throw away the unmanaged copy of the solution

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,771)