cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnjohn123
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How connection users are executed inside power app (will it always use the owner username or the current username)

I have created a power app using the office 365 admin username which is admin@***.onmicrosoft.com, as follow:-

vv11.png

where i have 2 connections; one to sharepoint list while the other to exchange (since i am getting user info)

But when an end user want to access the power app >> the user will get this message which mention that the PowerApp will use the end user credentials (Mike in our case):-

mike.png

so can i conclude that power app will always use the current login credential to access the sharepoint list and exchange users? and the username which is defined inside the edit mode (inside the power app studio) will be ignored?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@johnjohn123 

Only in scenarios where the connector has credentials in it.  For example a SQL connector will ask for credentials for the database.  Those are stored in the connector.  If you fill in, say, an admin (sa) account and password for the connector, then all users that use that connector will have sa access to the data.  

This also goes for connectors where API keys or other creds are needed.

The basic connectors, like SharePoint, Outlook, Office 365, Azure, etc all ask for an initial account (to make the connection), but then will prompt the user to allow the connection...at that point, it is using their credentials.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@johnjohn123 

That is correct.  In your scenario PowerApps will use the context of the current user, not the one that defined the connection.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

@RandyHayes  thanks for the reply? but is there other scenarios were the execution of the PowerApp will run using the owner credentials rather than the login user credentials? or PowerApp will always use the current user credentials?

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@johnjohn123 

Only in scenarios where the connector has credentials in it.  For example a SQL connector will ask for credentials for the database.  Those are stored in the connector.  If you fill in, say, an admin (sa) account and password for the connector, then all users that use that connector will have sa access to the data.  

This also goes for connectors where API keys or other creds are needed.

The basic connectors, like SharePoint, Outlook, Office 365, Azure, etc all ask for an initial account (to make the connection), but then will prompt the user to allow the connection...at that point, it is using their credentials.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (55,477)