cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SmileAndWave
Helper I
Helper I

How do I add a link to my app form in my approval flow?

Hi. I'm  not sure if this should go here or in Power Automate. I created an approval flow in Power Automate, not in PowerApps. Is this a Power Automate question since I want to make a change to my flow or a PowerApps question since I want to link to my app?

I have created an app that users fill out to request certain features from the IT department. I have also created an approval flow that launches when a list item is created. The approval action in my flow has a spot to add a link to the list item, but the "Link to item" property opens the default SharePoint form. I want it to link to the item in the app. Do I have to create a custom URL and add that to the link field in my approval action? Or do I need to recreate my approval flow in PowerApps? Or is there a simpler step that I am missing?

Any insight would be appreciated. I am also happy to move this question if it's in the wrong spot.2-11 1.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SmileAndWave
Helper I
Helper I

Ah. Your link looks different from the link I built based on the blogs I found. My app ends with this:

&Navigate=DetailScreen1

Unfortunately, when I add the value at the end of your app:

?Screen=Edit

I still only go to the browse screen. I'm stumped.

Because I'm on a deadline, I cobbled together a solution. I have the manager input the data that I need in the approval comments field, the flow updates the correct field with that data (not sure what to do if a manager has actual comments, but I'll figure that out later), and then I have a link to a SharePoint form using a specific content type that goes to the IT Department for them to input data.

This is a clumsy workaround because I can't get this link to do exactly what I want. I want one link to go to a specific input screen for my managers to enter data and I want a different link to go to another screen for my IT Department to input data.

For now I'll mark this as resolved, but it's not an ideal solution and I'm going to keep digging.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HenryARPhillips
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi,

Not sure, so will just attempt to answer 🙂 I wanted to say Power Automate but then I wanted to say Power Apps but who cares, lets try and get it sorted.

I wanted to say just place in the URL of your Power App, which would remain the same, regardless of SharePoint list item. However at best this would just launch the Power App.

So I think what you need to look into is passing Parameters as part of the URL. You would then configure the App, so that it could make use of a parameter and then show the necessary item within the app.

Start taking a look here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-param

You when then do something in the on app run and perhaps have a search box that will automatically trigger a search based on a passed parameter.

With your query on should you create the Power Automate Flow in the App, this would not be possible, other than you can trigger a Flow by way of a Power App Button but it just becomes a separate trigger and does not live within a Power App. So it is just the difference between starting the Flow in the PowerApp, over when a list item is created.

Thanks

Henry

For the most part, this is working beautifully. It doesn't want to navigate directly to my Detail screen, however. It will only navigate to the Browse screen. I wonder if that's because the Browse screen is the default? Whenever you create an app and you use the Browse, Detail, and Edit screens that are auto generated, the Browse is always where you go whenever you launch. I don't want to change that.

Have you tried this before and did the Navigate param work for you?

HenryARPhillips
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi,

So I was thinking something along the lines of:

https://apps.powerapps.com/play/5ef2dc68-5a4a-4fd7-a828-ad7c4ff6f81c?tenantId=1c72b7fe-7725-47a9-aff...

And in the On App Run Formula you could have something like:

Set(gblScreen,Param("Screen"));

If(gblScreen = "Details", Navigate(DetailScreen1))

HenryARPhillips_0-1613170755357.png

This of course does not handle your item you want to see the details of, but you could add another parameter to handle this.

Thanks

Henry

SmileAndWave
Helper I
Helper I

The link you provided doesn't work, but I'll see if I can figure out what you recommended. I truly believe that if you can imagine it, you can build it. I wish it was more intuitive, but in the end I'm sure I'll create what I need.

HenryARPhillips
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Sorry, should have said that link is just an example to show parameters being passed whilst launching a power app via its url.

I am then showing a formula navigating in the app based on the parameters. 

SmileAndWave
Helper I
Helper I

Ah. Your link looks different from the link I built based on the blogs I found. My app ends with this:

&Navigate=DetailScreen1

Unfortunately, when I add the value at the end of your app:

?Screen=Edit

I still only go to the browse screen. I'm stumped.

Because I'm on a deadline, I cobbled together a solution. I have the manager input the data that I need in the approval comments field, the flow updates the correct field with that data (not sure what to do if a manager has actual comments, but I'll figure that out later), and then I have a link to a SharePoint form using a specific content type that goes to the IT Department for them to input data.

This is a clumsy workaround because I can't get this link to do exactly what I want. I want one link to go to a specific input screen for my managers to enter data and I want a different link to go to another screen for my IT Department to input data.

For now I'll mark this as resolved, but it's not an ideal solution and I'm going to keep digging.

View solution in original post

HenryARPhillips
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Ah looks like you might be able to just tell it which screen to go to as part of the URL then. My example defines a parameter called Screen. That is not enough by itself. You have to then configure the app to make use of it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (20,652)