cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPS-DEV-22
Post Patron
Post Patron

How do I connect a dropdown to a sharepoint list column

I have been trying to get a dropdown to populate from the SharePoint list.

however I get this:

the items are actually supposed to be the choices from the dropdown column in SharePoint.

SPSDEV22_0-1661438492501.png

I was able to get a dropdown to populate with info from connecting it to another list, however it isn't connected to a column in the SharePoint list.

SPSDEV22_2-1661438630967.png

however, I need to get that dropdown now to populate a column in the SharePoint list.

How, do I get the dropdowns to work properly by populating with the choices, and or how do I get a PowerApps Dropdown connected to SharePoint.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@SPS-DEV-22 

Formulas are correct! 

I would next remove the field from your form and then add it back in.  It sounds like it is confused.  This happens if you have made any changes in the datasource for that field.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@SPS-DEV-22 

What is the Items property of your combobox (to be clear, you are working with a combobox, not a dropdown!)?

It should be :  Choices(yourList.yourChoiceColumn)

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

my property is that

Choices(yourList.yourChoiceColumn)

this is what I have for the items property:

Choices([@yourList].Medic)

it is only populating with item 1 thru item 25.

why is it doing that, I have even created new columns and the same thing. however, other combo/dropdowns are working

Edit:

I just changed the items property to this

Choices(yourList.yourChoiceColumn) with out the @ and [  ]  items. I get the items to populate.

However, when I pick an item. it does not show up in the SharePoint list column. it is still blank

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@SPS-DEV-22 

That is the correct formula!

If you place your cursor at the end of that formula - does the formula editor show you the correct table or choices?

it just says  Choices to process.

the (  )  have a grey box around them.. it really doesn't say anything

SPSDEV22_1-1661440120657.png

I do get the combobox  to populate, but the "choice" I chose it doesn't populate the SharePoint list.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@SPS-DEV-22 

Click in your Items property and place your cursor where the purple dot is below.

RandyHayes_0-1661440477978.png

Look for the arrow circled in red (it will be a down arrow if not opened).

Open that and look to see what is shows below it.

my values are there, I can pick one when I run the form but it isn't putting the item I selected into the SharePoint list

the list column is blank

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@SPS-DEV-22 

What kind of column is it you are trying to update and what is the Update property of your datacard? (I assume this is all in a form)

the SharePoint Column type is a Choice.

Update property:
DataCardValue3.Selected

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@SPS-DEV-22 

Formulas are correct! 

I would next remove the field from your form and then add it back in.  It sounds like it is confused.  This happens if you have made any changes in the datasource for that field.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,996)