Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lmcginnis
Helper I
Helper I

How do I save data, concatenate text?

Hi,

I am building an app and need advice on, various things ..

1st, the best senario to save my data..

Senario,

Datasource = excel table(1)

Purpose, I have an excel sheet that has Site information, name/number/nearest ER/ER directions/ER phone/ etc...

1st page has combobox linked to data table, and I use a reference to it in many lables on other pages to pull up specific information that colleralates to that selection. 

I have pages setup and working that pull from the excel table(1) into lables displayed with the information I am asking from it.

On the following pages I have some text input, radial selections, checkboxes, etc that related to the work being done at the Site.. I need to combine this new information with some information I am pulling from my table currently, and some additional fields in my table into a page so that the data can be reviewed, (all at once, or broken up in sections peferably as my input pages are, scrolling labels I like 🙂

then,

I would then like to have that information saved to a different excel table(2) creating new rows for every entry.

Also to be able to save it locally, be able to reload it for reviewing before submitting, and then upload it to my excel table(2) .. incase there is no internet..

2nd problem,

I cannot seem to get MSN weather working at all using the table information from my combo box, what i have is 2 seperate columns, 1 for lattitude and 1 for longitude, I tried inputing both at the same time, I even created a new column in excel that is =concat(m2,n2) which are those 2 columns and merged them into one named GPS.. tho, i would like a space between them, but cant get that working either.. tried many things, like =concat(m2, "  ", n2) etc .. 

Currently,

Set( /* <-- Please use Set function to store the variable instead of UpdateContext function */
Weather,
MSNWeather.CurrentWeather(Concat(ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems, 'GPS'), "Metric").responses.weather.current
);
Navigate('Current Weather', ScreenTransition.None)

The button has and X, says invalid argument, expecting text value.. and doesnt work 😞

Additional help,

I have an msn weather help topic already, and I couldnt get it working.. but as I dive more and more into this I noticed it had a clearcollect, and as I an newb at this. I dont know if it clears all collected data, or just the one it's pointing to.. 

Can you have multiple collects going?

Thanks,

Lance <- Less then 1 week using powerapps, no prior experience, please help 🙂

Edit by @Mr-Dang-MSFT: renamed title to be more descriptive

15 REPLIES 15

Ok, 

Your formula is trying to do two different things in one 🙂 Try this:

Set(
  SiteWeather, 
      MSNWeather.CurrentWeather(
           ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems.'Lat.' & "." & ComboBox1_1.SelectedItems.'Lon.', "Imperial")
);

Navigate('Current Weather', ScreenTransition.Fade);

I have been watching a lot of video's from ShaneYoung on youtube and others, and reading a lot.. this however is a steep learning curve for me.

That added with I do not have any dedicated time to do this, I just get what I can fit in while I am at work.

So it's hard for me to determine what functions are actually happening in the tutorials and video's and apply them to what I am doing... like they are using lables and not combo boxes, or the syntax calling a from a gallery is different from a a combobox or lable.. and even more when I see the use of datacards.. 

I have the layout I am using, and when I have to make major changes, to me anyways, of putting label inside a scrolling label.. 

this stuff blows my mind half the time, and it's probably entry level stuff. 😞

@Lmcginnis We were all where you are at one point.  The very best advice I can give you is START SMALL.  And pick a template app on a topic that resonates with you and study how they used the concepts to make it work.  When I created my first app, I took a template app and modified it to fit my purpose to display and update a single SP list.  Once I got that working, I added another list and built from there.  There is a TON a still don't understand or haven't touched yet, but that's OK.  Don't try to understand it all.  Focus on one small piece in one small app and get that working, then build on it.  I do a lot of things differently than I did a year ago.  The way I did it originally worked, but I have simply learned better ways as my skills and knowlege improved.  I learn something new virtually every day.  Don't try to eat the elephant whole... you'll digest it a lot better if you set your sights on just one small part.

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

I'm still getting 2 errors, invalid argument type ..expecting text, number, etc.

This is what I did to my gps tables .. 

If anyone knows how to get excel format lat and lon into gps correctly, maybe that would help?

Lat.Lon.GPS
39.569899-104.870117=CONCAT(L2, M2)

I dont want to sound rude, or anything that would be construde as disrepect..

But I beleieve that's what I'm doing, 

I've started this whole thing from scratch, and I've gotten this far... even doing the combo boxes and autopopulating information throughout the app was a milestone for me 🙂

Ongoing..

Now i have shifted gears to work on collecting information,

The new problem I have created for myself.. which I cannot find the answer to from searches.

So I have lables that have been populated from a dropdown box selection, getting data from an excel spread sheet.

I have multiple lables through out my app that populates this kind of data, and I need to save it along with the other data I am collecting on the pages.. 

How to collect from those labels and input that into my collection?

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,967)