cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

How do I take images from a SharePoint list or Document libary and put them in a gallery?

I've been trying to figure this out, but I'm just not understanding.

I have a list of equipment in a SharePoint List and it is used in a fairly robust check-in/check-out app.  I want to include a distinct image of each piece of equipment in the gallery list of equipment.  I've been able to point the gallery template image at a single image, but that is making ALL the equipment in my list have the same image?

Do I put it in an attachment column?

Do I put it in the image column?  If I do, how do I put the data there and avoid using a link?

Do I put the images in a Image Library?  If I do, how do I assign them correctly the records in my SharePoint list?

Which is simplest?  Performs the best?  I don't want to wait for links to load or any other slow down.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: How do I take images from a SharePoint list or Document libary and put them in a gallery?

Hi @AaronTheYoung ,

If you have a gallery based on the Library and put in an Image Control, you can view it with the Image property of 

ThisItem.'{Thumbnail}'.Large

you can also do Small and Medium

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: How do I take images from a SharePoint list or Document libary and put them in a gallery?

@AaronTheYoung ,

Firstly have a read of this post of mine as it also covers attachments - this all works in Browsers as well as phone apps.

You can use 

First(ThisItem.Attachments).Value

if you have one attachment and want to view it in the gallery or a form. Note however that this gallery has to be based on the List, not a collection as attachments do not come across in one.

There is also the option of storing the image in Base64 text in a multi-line text field in the list, but for you an attachment is probably the best option (I use it quite a lot).

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @AaronTheYoung ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.
For your further assistance, I have recently done a blog on this subject.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @AaronTheYoung ,

If you have a gallery based on the Library and put in an Image Control, you can view it with the Image property of 

ThisItem.'{Thumbnail}'.Large

you can also do Small and Medium

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Cool. That's great info. I was able to get it to work by just using ThisItem.DeviceImage.  but, I don't like having to put a URL in column and that points to the image in a library.

Can't I just store the image data in the SharePoint list?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@AaronTheYoung ,

Firstly have a read of this post of mine as it also covers attachments - this all works in Browsers as well as phone apps.

You can use 

First(ThisItem.Attachments).Value

if you have one attachment and want to view it in the gallery or a form. Note however that this gallery has to be based on the List, not a collection as attachments do not come across in one.

There is also the option of storing the image in Base64 text in a multi-line text field in the list, but for you an attachment is probably the best option (I use it quite a lot).

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @AaronTheYoung ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.
For your further assistance, I have recently done a blog on this subject.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Your information helped me down the road.  Thanks very much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,655)