Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
therush321
Helper I
Helper I

How do I update a free text field with a button

Hi All

I am trying to update a field item based off a Button.

I would have 2 buttons called: Approve and Reject.

Each button would need to update the field value: Approved Status based on the selection.

I have tried using variables to update my field but no luck.

My source is a SharePoint list.

1.PNG2.PNG

Default.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@therush321 ,

The error is ‘Approved StatusDataCard1’ not being recognised. That sounds like the card, not the text box. This will be called DataCardValuexx ( xx a number).

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @therush321 ,

There are a couple.of ways to approach this, but I will run with simply filling in the text box for you to save later. Using the Approve Button, put this on the OnSelect

UpdateContext({varStatus:"Approved"});
Reset(YourStatusBoxName)

and obviously use Rejected for the other button.

Now the Default of the Status box 

If(
   !IsBlank(varStatus),
   varStatus,
   Parent.Default
)

and finally add to any save or screen exit code

UpdateContext({varStatus:Blank()})

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

@WarrenBelz Thank you very much for your help.

I am almost there. I managed to get the button to display it if it is approved or rejected but it is not saving the data and reflecting it as such.

Hi @therush321 ,

What is the Update property of the DataCard the status box is in?

@WarrenBelz it is set to the variable: varStatus

@therush321 ,

It needs to be

YourTextBoxName.Text

You have already set the value of the text - you just need to write it to the list.

@WarrenBelz 

I have tried that but it is giving me an error message.

Sorry for I am new to this.

therush321_0-1602667742694.png

yashag2255
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @therush321 

Screen -> OnVisible -> Set(SelectedStatus,"");

Approve Button -> OnSelect -> Set(SelectedStatus,"Approve");

Reject Button -> OnSelect -> Set(SelectedStatus,"Reject");

TextInput to show value -> Default -> Coalesce(SelectedStatus, Parent.Default)

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

@yashag2255 Thank you for your suggestion but it only works to display the text. I need it to save it.

I tried adding a submit form code to the button but it only works off once.

Set(SelectedStatus;"Approved") & SubmitForm(EditForm1)

@therush321 ,

The error is ‘Approved StatusDataCard1’ not being recognised. That sounds like the card, not the text box. This will be called DataCardValuexx ( xx a number).

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,872)