cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TGrounds
Level 8

How do I update the MEDIA control on a Video from a value in a database field?

The only documentation I was able to find around multimedia, specifically video, was a note in the user documentation that says: "Play a YouTube video by setting the Media property of a video control to the appropriate URL, enclosed in double quotation marks."  

My entire PowerApp is data driven and all values come in from SharePoint lists.  I have the URL in a field in my list but I'm not able to come up with a way to concatenate the required "URL" inserting the field from my data and place it in the MEDIA control in my App. (or including the " " around the URL in my data).  It doesn't appear that I'm able to set this control with a variable, only what is available in the multimedia area of PowerApps or a fixed URL in double quotes.  I'm doing this with Images and need to be able to do it with videos as well.

Has anyone tried this and been successful?

Thanks- 
Tom.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Power Apps Staff CarlosFigueira
Power Apps Staff

Re: How do I update the MEDIA control on a Video from a value in a database field?

You can use the URL for a video from a data source as well. For example, if you have an Excel table like this one:

ForumPost001.png

Then you can bind the table to a gallery, for example, and have a video control whose Media property references the selected item of the gallery:

Gallery1.Selected.Video

The attached file shows an example of this.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Power Apps Staff CarlosFigueira
Power Apps Staff

Re: How do I update the MEDIA control on a Video from a value in a database field?

You can use the URL for a video from a data source as well. For example, if you have an Excel table like this one:

ForumPost001.png

Then you can bind the table to a gallery, for example, and have a video control whose Media property references the selected item of the gallery:

Gallery1.Selected.Video

The attached file shows an example of this.

View solution in original post

TGrounds
Level 8

Thank you SO MUCH!  My video object is in a gallery - I flip between Image and Video depending on which value is in the table.  I was trying to use the ThisItem.video method and it wasn't working.  I created a text object called 'VideoContent' in the gallery that isn't visible and bound that to ThisItem.video from my SharePoint list.  I then then referenced 'VideoContent' in the 'Media' value on the control and that worked.  Obviously I was too close to it when I posed the question thanks for making me think about it in a different way.

Thank you so much!

Tom.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,644)