cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TGrounds Resolver II
Resolver II

How do I update the MEDIA control on a Video from a value in a database field?

The only documentation I was able to find around multimedia, specifically video, was a note in the user documentation that says: "Play a YouTube video by setting the Media property of a video control to the appropriate URL, enclosed in double quotation marks."  

My entire PowerApp is data driven and all values come in from SharePoint lists.  I have the URL in a field in my list but I'm not able to come up with a way to concatenate the required "URL" inserting the field from my data and place it in the MEDIA control in my App. (or including the " " around the URL in my data).  It doesn't appear that I'm able to set this control with a variable, only what is available in the multimedia area of PowerApps or a fixed URL in double quotes.  I'm doing this with Images and need to be able to do it with videos as well.

Has anyone tried this and been successful?

Thanks- 
Tom.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Power Apps
Power Apps

Re: How do I update the MEDIA control on a Video from a value in a database field?

You can use the URL for a video from a data source as well. For example, if you have an Excel table like this one:

ForumPost001.png

Then you can bind the table to a gallery, for example, and have a video control whose Media property references the selected item of the gallery:

Gallery1.Selected.Video

The attached file shows an example of this.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Power Apps
Power Apps

Re: How do I update the MEDIA control on a Video from a value in a database field?

You can use the URL for a video from a data source as well. For example, if you have an Excel table like this one:

ForumPost001.png

Then you can bind the table to a gallery, for example, and have a video control whose Media property references the selected item of the gallery:

Gallery1.Selected.Video

The attached file shows an example of this.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
TGrounds Resolver II
Resolver II

Thank you SO MUCH!  My video object is in a gallery - I flip between Image and Video depending on which value is in the table.  I was trying to use the ThisItem.video method and it wasn't working.  I created a text object called 'VideoContent' in the gallery that isn't visible and bound that to ThisItem.video from my SharePoint list.  I then then referenced 'VideoContent' in the 'Media' value on the control and that worked.  Obviously I was too close to it when I posed the question thanks for making me think about it in a different way.

Thank you so much!

Tom.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,691)