Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark2457
Helper II
Helper II

How do you test without publishing?

Hi All

I need to push a new version of my app out to a select few users to test. If I publish, everyone will get it

How do I allow users to test ON A MOBILE DEVICE

Thanks

Mark

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
PowerAddict
Super User
Super User

Here is one possible approach: 

1. Let's save your app's current published version is 1. 

2. You have made some changes and the current version is 2 (unpublished). 

3. You don't want to publish version 2 as it will get rolled out to everyone. 

4. Open the app and choose Save As. 

5. Give it a diff name and save it. 

6. As soon as you save it, it gets published. 

7. Share this app with the select users. 

8. Once you get their confirmation, you can publish version 2 of the original app. 

Let me know if this helps. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube  |  Email

View solution in original post

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mark2457 ,

I can tell you my process as I have over 100 mobile users. I use "Save as" and make another copy with "Beta" on the end of the name and share with my select group of testers. I leave the"send email" checked so they know it has been published.

After successful testing, I either

1. Roll the (hopefully well documented) changes to the prod version. This often includes simply copying a new form to the prod app. There is always a roll-back in version if there are issues.
  2. In the case of a really major overhaul (I think I have done 2 or 3), rename the old app to _old, the new app to the prod name and share with prod staff. I send an email to all refresh and they all know the_old is a fall-back. After a week or so, unshare the old one.

This has worked quite well for a couple of years - happy to assist further.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

6 REPLIES 6
PowerAddict
Super User
Super User

Here is one possible approach: 

1. Let's save your app's current published version is 1. 

2. You have made some changes and the current version is 2 (unpublished). 

3. You don't want to publish version 2 as it will get rolled out to everyone. 

4. Open the app and choose Save As. 

5. Give it a diff name and save it. 

6. As soon as you save it, it gets published. 

7. Share this app with the select users. 

8. Once you get their confirmation, you can publish version 2 of the original app. 

Let me know if this helps. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube  |  Email

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mark2457 ,

I can tell you my process as I have over 100 mobile users. I use "Save as" and make another copy with "Beta" on the end of the name and share with my select group of testers. I leave the"send email" checked so they know it has been published.

After successful testing, I either

1. Roll the (hopefully well documented) changes to the prod version. This often includes simply copying a new form to the prod app. There is always a roll-back in version if there are issues.
  2. In the case of a really major overhaul (I think I have done 2 or 3), rename the old app to _old, the new app to the prod name and share with prod staff. I send an email to all refresh and they all know the_old is a fall-back. After a week or so, unshare the old one.

This has worked quite well for a couple of years - happy to assist further.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Glad I could help! Good luck with the rest of your app! Feel free to reach out in case of any questions!

Thanks,
Hardit Bhatia
The Power Addict
https://thepoweraddict.com

No problem @Mark2457 

@PowerAddict and myself published at the same time and seem to have very similar processes - I trust they will work for you also.

So a follow up

How do you manage test data and connections, Ideally, when the users test, they will use a sandbox. With SQL, etc, it;s easy, I just change the connection string. This app uses 4 SharePoint connections and 2 flows (which in turn use sharepoint connections). 

Is there an easy way to point them to test data?

Thanks

Mark

As long as you have exact replicas of your SP lists (the data structure that is, the data can obviously be diff), you can simply replace the data sources in this new copy of the app.

Share the SP list (I assume this step is required but you would know more from current app's setup) eight only the test users. When you remove the existing data sources, you will get errors that should go away once you add the new ones.

Let me know if you have already tried these steps or if I am missing something.

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution.

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia
The Power Addict
https://thepoweraddict.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,512)