Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

How does Filters work with SharePoint Connectors

Hi

I was speaking at SharePoint Saturday Leicester today and we got into a discussion on how does the SharePoint Connector work when you use a statement in PowerApps like ClearCollect(myCollection,Filter(sharepointlist, sitecolumn1 = "MyText").#

Does it

1) only bring say 35 rows back from the SharePoint list even though there may be 20,000 rows in the list. (ie the query is done at the SharePoint list.

2) attempts to bring back 20,000 rows into PowerApps, can only bring 2000 rows as that is the max PowerApps can bring back and then tries and filter on the 2,000 rows it actually brought back into PowerApps.

Thanks

Nigel

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Re: How does Filters work with SharePoint Connectors

@NigelP

The = parameter is delegatable to SharePoint (See docs for delegation info), so 1 is probably a yes. As soon you try to do this with a parameter which is not delegatable 2 is a Yes.

In general what I do when I add a gallery and want to filter the items I split it up in delegatable and non-delegatable filters. Then I do like this:

• On the delegatable filters search box I only tricker a toggle on the OnChange attribute.
    On this Toggle.Change I do a ClearCollect from my datasource with only the delagatable filters.
  • The Collection I have in the items off my gallery
  • The non-delegatable filters I add there.

To make this work I add a flat number field to my SharePoint list for each related complex Field. I write the ID from the related list to this number field, as well as the record to the related complex field. This means I always can filter on this ID number field if I want and don't have to worry about the delegation limitations.

Oke you are still limited to 2000 records, but I figure no way that more then 2000 records are relevant on any given time. Off course when you want to sum() numbers it can be a problem, but with that amount off records needed you should not be in SharePoint, but move to SQL Server in my opinion. 

By the way it's correct that you can bring max 2000 records in directly from PowerApps. But you could increase this to 5.000 records if you need when you use Flow as an interface between PowerApps and your Sharepoint List. 

Hope this helps.

Paul

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,823)