Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenDonahue
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

How much sharing do I need to do?

I have an app created.

The data is saving to a SharePoint list.

How do I enable my users to use the app in all its functionality without allowing the users to view the underlying data?

Will sharing the app with them be enough, or do I need to share the Lists themselves?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
TheRobRush
Super User
Super User

in order for a end user to edit access the sharepoint list via creation edit or even just viewing they will have to be given access to the list in sharepoint. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Like my answer? - Hit that Thumbs Up. Resolved the Issue? - Hit Accept as Solution.
This helps others find solutions to future issues!

View solution in original post

C-Papa
Super User
Super User

Hi, they will need to have permission for the app and permission to do what you want them to do with the SharePoint database, e.g. if you just want them to view the data they could have view or read permission, if you want them to add and edit data they would need contribute or edit permission. 

Its difficult to stop users going to the SharePoint list and editing the data if they have permission, i believe Dataverse is better suited to this. one option is to remove all permissions for the site and don't allow lists to inherit site permissions, then control the permissions at list level. this way the site should not show up when the user looks at their recent sites feeds or following site feeds etc. basically making it harder to get to the site URL

5 REPLIES 5
TheRobRush
Super User
Super User

in order for a end user to edit access the sharepoint list via creation edit or even just viewing they will have to be given access to the list in sharepoint. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Like my answer? - Hit that Thumbs Up. Resolved the Issue? - Hit Accept as Solution.

@TheRobRush Then, if they are provided with the URL, can they then look at the whole data set?

C-Papa
Super User
Super User

Hi, they will need to have permission for the app and permission to do what you want them to do with the SharePoint database, e.g. if you just want them to view the data they could have view or read permission, if you want them to add and edit data they would need contribute or edit permission. 

Its difficult to stop users going to the SharePoint list and editing the data if they have permission, i believe Dataverse is better suited to this. one option is to remove all permissions for the site and don't allow lists to inherit site permissions, then control the permissions at list level. this way the site should not show up when the user looks at their recent sites feeds or following site feeds etc. basically making it harder to get to the site URL

Yes, if they figure out the link they would be able to access all the data

@TheRobRush@C-Papa ,

Understood. It was my plan to use SharePoint as a landing site for the data which will be added in cycles, then, at the end of each cycle, have it sync up with Dataverse. Looks like that I will have to go straight to DAtaverse. Thank you, both, for your assisntance in this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,919)