Would you allow a user to create a powerApp to send personal/secure date to a Sharepoint list that only HR can access?
Developers insist it's all encrypted, security office would like encryption on top of this.
What are people's opinion on this please?
It's a lot more work to write an in-house system to a SQL Express DB with encrypted fields that a PowerApp.
Hi @Bulldog ,
If you mean that you want to show different data for different users in PowerApps, you could achieve this using Filter and User() function. Something like:
For more information about User function, please refer to:
Hi @Bulldog . That depends on how savvy your Sharepoint folks are and who is developing the PowerApp. There are some pitfalls to beware of.
- You typically have to grant your PowerApps users "Contribute" permission to read/write to a Sharepoint list.
- When you do this, IF they know the URL of the list, they might be able to directly access it through the browser.
- Supposedly there is something called "Target Audiences" in Sharepoint where you can eliminate direct access to a list. Wrote about it here, but I've yet to implement it.
- If you spin up a SQL server thinking you'll get super secret agent, beware of that as well. There is a longstanding "issue" or "idea" regarding PowerApps and SQL.
- Something along the lines of: If you share an app that has a SQL connector with someone, they can then create their own PowerApp (separate from yours) and reuse the SQL connection to explore the tables. There are likely ways to prevent this, but thats my understanding of the rub.
- I believe CDS supports encryption and row-level security. Might be an option if you want to go that route though its a whole other ball of wax.
I'm VERY interested in what you come away with. Please share your results as they develop.
Read the announcement for more information!
Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.
Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020
Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications