Would you allow a user to create a powerApp to send personal/secure date to a Sharepoint list that only HR can access?
Developers insist it's all encrypted, security office would like encryption on top of this.
What are people's opinion on this please?
It's a lot more work to write an in-house system to a SQL Express DB with encrypted fields that a PowerApp.
Hi @Bulldog ,
If you mean that you want to show different data for different users in PowerApps, you could achieve this using Filter and User() function. Something like:
For more information about User function, please refer to:
Hi @Bulldog . That depends on how savvy your Sharepoint folks are and who is developing the PowerApp. There are some pitfalls to beware of.
- You typically have to grant your PowerApps users "Contribute" permission to read/write to a Sharepoint list.
- When you do this, IF they know the URL of the list, they might be able to directly access it through the browser.
- Supposedly there is something called "Target Audiences" in Sharepoint where you can eliminate direct access to a list. Wrote about it here, but I've yet to implement it.
- If you spin up a SQL server thinking you'll get super secret agent, beware of that as well. There is a longstanding "issue" or "idea" regarding PowerApps and SQL.
- Something along the lines of: If you share an app that has a SQL connector with someone, they can then create their own PowerApp (separate from yours) and reuse the SQL connection to explore the tables. There are likely ways to prevent this, but thats my understanding of the rub.
- I believe CDS supports encryption and row-level security. Might be an option if you want to go that route though its a whole other ball of wax.
I'm VERY interested in what you come away with. Please share your results as they develop.
The best idea I have come up with so far is to submit new data via a flow with an HTTP trigger that is owned by someone else. Then have the flow save the data and have a separate power app only available to people who should be able to access everyone's responses.
Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group
Please join us on Wednesday, July 21st at 8a PDT. We will be announcing the Winners of the Demo Extravaganza!
Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge
Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.