cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lardo5150
Microsoft
Microsoft

How to Auto Update App in Teams when launched?

For my app, we sent a downloaded zip file to the users.

They installed the app manually.

I am finding that when I publish an update to the app, some users are getting it immediately, some later, and I found one person never did.

Is it possible to put something within the app, like "OnScreen", that will check for an update and download it automatically each time we open the app?

I am doing some searches but not finding anything.

EDIT:  For the users not updating immediately, they have to click on the reload button in Teams.

can we build this into the app some how?

lardo5150_0-1643288082767.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@lardo5150 

No, PowerApps does not deal "outside" of itself.  All of the versioning control and updating is all done outside of the app when it is chosen.  The user needs to make the update when presented with it.

I have not worked with the Teams based deployment mechanism enough to know how it notifies, but in the regular app, the user is notified that there is a new version and that that can update.

There is no way within the app to know if they did update or not.

The only thing that you can do to control that is to put some mechanism in your app to lookup some version value in some list somewhere and if it is not some value, then warn the user that they need to update.

However, it is all manual and you would always need to update the list and the app.

For some of our apps, we do this for "major" version changes.  It's too difficult to maintain for minor ones.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lardo5150
Microsoft
Microsoft

@RandyHayes 

randy, tagging you as I wanted to get some visibility on this one and see if this is possible or not.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@lardo5150 

No, PowerApps does not deal "outside" of itself.  All of the versioning control and updating is all done outside of the app when it is chosen.  The user needs to make the update when presented with it.

I have not worked with the Teams based deployment mechanism enough to know how it notifies, but in the regular app, the user is notified that there is a new version and that that can update.

There is no way within the app to know if they did update or not.

The only thing that you can do to control that is to put some mechanism in your app to lookup some version value in some list somewhere and if it is not some value, then warn the user that they need to update.

However, it is all manual and you would always need to update the list and the app.

For some of our apps, we do this for "major" version changes.  It's too difficult to maintain for minor ones.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PWREduCon768x460.png

Join us at PWR EduCon - A Power Platform Conference

Learn from the top Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate & Power Virtual Agents experts!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,008)