cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
praneshJ
Helper III
Helper III

How to Encrypt and decrypt password field of contact entity?

Hello,

I have a web application, from where I am creating contacts, the Contact details are stored in the Contact entity of CDS.

I need to change the password of the particular contact from the canvas app in power apps.
What are the ways to change the password of contact from the canvas app??

I tried changing the password using the below code.
Patch(Contacts,LookUp(Contacts,Email = "myemailaddress@gmail.com"),{'Password Hash':"NewPassword"})

Now Password of the contact is getting updated. but it is not in the encrypted format. It is getting saved in normal text format.

and when I am using the updated password to login to the application, It is throwing error as shown in the attachment.

Please check the attachment for the login error using the updated password.

I need help on How to save the updated password and use the same updated password for next time logging in.

Quick Help is really appreciated!!!

3 REPLIES 3

so you are using the local security option for a power apps portal.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/configure/set-authentication-identity

the recommendation is you don't use local security option--it is deprecated. 

You should switch to Azure B2C or some other external security provider.

If you need to use the local security option, you can't just update the field. It won't work that way

See this thread and Nick Hayduk's answer https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/microsoft-dynamics-crm-forum/283515/the-portal-user-s-password-...

Hello @jlindstrom,

Thank you for the solution.

I have one more question, If I don't want to use any Azure B2C or some other external security provider.

but still, I want to update the password of the contact using local security.

Is there any other way to do that?

Can we use power automate by creating any type of workflow that updates the password in CDS???

or any other workarounds for this help me in updating the password of Contact in CDS.

Any help is really appreciated!!!!

You would need to use some kind of action or plugin as described in the thread I linked to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events that are happening this month - don't miss out!

Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,296)