cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
praneshJ
Helper III
Helper III

How to Encrypt and decrypt password field of contact entity?

Hello,

I have a web application, from where I am creating contacts, the Contact details are stored in the Contact entity of CDS.

I need to change the password of the particular contact from the canvas app in power apps.
What are the ways to change the password of contact from the canvas app??

I tried changing the password using the below code.
Patch(Contacts,LookUp(Contacts,Email = "myemailaddress@gmail.com"),{'Password Hash':"NewPassword"})

Now Password of the contact is getting updated. but it is not in the encrypted format. It is getting saved in normal text format.

and when I am using the updated password to login to the application, It is throwing error as shown in the attachment.

Please check the attachment for the login error using the updated password.

I need help on How to save the updated password and use the same updated password for next time logging in.

Quick Help is really appreciated!!!

3 REPLIES 3

so you are using the local security option for a power apps portal.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/configure/set-authentication-identity

the recommendation is you don't use local security option--it is deprecated. 

You should switch to Azure B2C or some other external security provider.

If you need to use the local security option, you can't just update the field. It won't work that way

See this thread and Nick Hayduk's answer https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/microsoft-dynamics-crm-forum/283515/the-portal-user-s-password-...

Hello @jlindstrom,

Thank you for the solution.

I have one more question, If I don't want to use any Azure B2C or some other external security provider.

but still, I want to update the password of the contact using local security.

Is there any other way to do that?

Can we use power automate by creating any type of workflow that updates the password in CDS???

or any other workarounds for this help me in updating the password of Contact in CDS.

Any help is really appreciated!!!!

You would need to use some kind of action or plugin as described in the thread I linked to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (3,656)