cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rprahalad
Helper V
Helper V

How to Filter Based on a Boolean Choice Column in DataVerse?

I have a Choice Column on a table  in Dataverse called 'isActive', which is of a 'Boolean Yes Or No' type.  Of Course within the DataVerse it is termed as 'Allowed' and 'Not Allowed'. 

I have a Dropdown within my Canvas App wherein I am trying to filter and show data where isActive = 'Yes' . But I have tried everything to get the syntax right of the Filter function on a Boolean Yes/No Choice but nothing works. The syntax shown for SP Lists does not work on the DataVerse table. 

Can you please let me know how I can filter a Boolean Yes/No Choice within my Canvas app? This is DataVerse table/column again and not SP list. @RezaDorrani had suggested that he will create a video of it. So, awaiting it as well.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@rprahalad 

I know I am an old fogey and am very old school database designer but I have learned to simplify my life by avoiding complex type column types and use single line of text, numbers and date/times almost exclusively.  For Lookup type fields, I use a separate table and set a foreign key to reference it. I create all of my table relationships manually.  It's a habit I learned from SharePoint and it has served me well. I know that I am losing some of the features of Dataverse, but mostly I like Dataverse because virtually all PowerApps functions are delegatable and I deal with very large datasets. Profile_-_Old_Man_McGucket.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

HI @rprahalad 

I had a lot of trouble with this too.  Rather than continuing to aggravate myself,  I solved it by creating a view in Dataverse and used that as the filter. _1.jpg

Its amazing how I thought of that @Drrickryp ! But my only concern is, if I use the View on a drop down on a Transactional form where I would have to actually save the data to the main transactional table, to obviously a LookUp column, would I be able to Save the picked dropdown data, since I have used the View on form to bind it? Thanks!

@rprahalad 

I would be out of my depth to answer that.  I have been playing with this to figure out how to answer your question.  I could only suggest that you try it and see if it works.  I found a video from @Shanescows  on option set in Dataverse and how to use them in canvas apps.  Take a look and see if it helps.  In the meantime, I will keep playing around with this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L633HIvNGE 

Appreciate it! It somehow weirdly feels good when others are also having the same issue as you. Lol. Sorry but I did spend 45 minutes thinking that "I" am doing something wrong here and I felt good ONLY after reading your comments:-). 

I sure will. I will watch the video and will play around with it as well. Thanks again!

@rprahalad 

I know I am an old fogey and am very old school database designer but I have learned to simplify my life by avoiding complex type column types and use single line of text, numbers and date/times almost exclusively.  For Lookup type fields, I use a separate table and set a foreign key to reference it. I create all of my table relationships manually.  It's a habit I learned from SharePoint and it has served me well. I know that I am losing some of the features of Dataverse, but mostly I like Dataverse because virtually all PowerApps functions are delegatable and I deal with very large datasets. Profile_-_Old_Man_McGucket.png

View solution in original post

Oops I didn't mean to mark that as a solution:-). But same here! I just posted another question on many-many junction tables. I think one should STOP thinking SQL Server way and STOP normalizing the heck out of the database tables. I will denormalize my data structure as much as possible, just to avoid writing lines of LookUp and this and that functions. Denormalization = Low Code. So, there goes it. Just killed a few relationships that I had created. Many-Many is definitely out of my books from here on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,205)