Helper III

How to Show items from all doc lib using filter

How to Show items from all doc lib using filter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Spamrancher
Resolver I
Resolver I

Create separate connections to the SharePoint libraries. I created two libraries and put one document in each. ClearCollect for the first library, then Collect the rest of the libraries. Change your filter so that Review = true. Set the data source for the gallery to be your collection. Magic!

Spamrancher_1-1638490128385.png

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Mikello-6626
Helper III
Helper III

Any replies appreciated

Spamrancher
Resolver I
Resolver I

Create separate connections to the SharePoint libraries. I created two libraries and put one document in each. ClearCollect for the first library, then Collect the rest of the libraries. Change your filter so that Review = true. Set the data source for the gallery to be your collection. Magic!

Spamrancher_1-1638490128385.png

Mikello-6626
Helper III
Helper III

@Spamrancher would it be a link to the documents?

Spamrancher
Resolver I
Resolver I

I suppose it would depend on what you put in the gallery. If you're trying to display the actual file in your gallery it might not perform well -- that's a lot of data to pull down. In my example I just used 'file name with extension', but you could add a button to the gallery with text like "Open File", and set the OnSelect action to Launch(ThisItem.'{Link}').

Edit: Or, even better, put an image control in the gallery with its Image property set to ThisItem.'{Thumbnail}'.Small. Then set the OnSelect on the image to Launch(ThisItem.'{Link}').

Spamrancher_0-1638491885237.png

AmDev
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mikello-6626  - Given that you plan to combine all 4nr libraries into one Gallery in the app, is there a reason why you cannot just use one combined Doc Library from the start and as you say then use delegable filter queries - Your app will then be much simpler and it wont matter how many docs are in your library (provided that your library columns are indexed etc)

Another option is to create a tabbed experience in your app i.e. 1 tab per gallery, which  could be a good UI, if the docs are by default categories from their respective sources.

@Spamrancher  has made a good suggestion on the use of collections - if you are just viewing the data and not editing, this would work very well. I would just caution that there can be complications with layering up multiple collections due to differing Column names, but that can be overcome. 

Unfortunately there is no perfect solution for this, but there are certainly a few good options. Good Luck! ☘

Would docs be security trimmed

@Mikello-6626   If a user doesn't have access to a library, that permission will persist through to the app. So it should still be OK.

Would dare I say it folders with different permissions in one library be an option? That way you would just hook the doc lib up to the app and users will only see what they are allowed to and you're not trying to combine anything

Yeah I thought of that but granular permission maintenance could become an issue going forward. Also the total number of documents in one library could exceed 5k and I wouldn’t want to add that complication. So was hoping the Powerapp could be a nice independent display solution so we could have best of both worlds. 

I am looking for documents to display as links so users can click on it and it would open to edit in browser. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,983)