cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phineas
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to Sort New Items in Combo Box Alphabetically

I'm using the following in a Combo Box. It returns a list of names in alphabetical order (based on the Location chosen in another Combo Box). However, any new names added appear at the bottom rather than filling-in in alphabetical order. How do I update the condition so that all names, existing and newly added, always appear in alphabetical order?

Combo Box:

Items: MemberCollection

DefaultSelectedItems: Filter(MemberCollection, Location=LocationComboBox.Selected.Title)  

4 REPLIES 4
zaphod88
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Items property:

SortByColumns(MemberCollection, "surname", Ascending)
Replace "surname" with the column name you want to order the items by.

That condition did not impact the order. All new still appear at the bottom of the Combo Box list.

zaphod88
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Make sure that the "surname" (or whatever) column of your new items is not blank. Is there an error showing?

All content (every name) is present. However, the issue of all new names being forced - or defaulting to the bottom, still exists. 

No, there is no errror showing. All name retrieved - just no shuffle. Also, the 'List' have also been aphlabetized by the FullName. I'm not sure why the Combo Box wants to then take what it alphabetized in the List and place it out of order in the Combo Box.

I even remade the Collection. No change.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,149)