Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Axal
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to auto fill textbox or combobox

Hello,

I'm really a newbie in PowerApps application. Just want to have some advice from this fourm.

I've created an apps from blank canvas. It's an email form just to sending an ordinary email. The data source attached is Office365 Users and Office365 Outlook.

I'm learning from this Shane Young's Yuotube (pretty helpful, btw) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhGV4AhCFRc

So I already have the Text input for search name, and the combo box relates to that Text input which will filtered out the user selection. What I need now is Text input to be auto-fill in from the caller of this apps.

I'm gonna use this apps in my Power BI, and as I "throw" / "using" one of my employee table, I want the Text input in my PowerApps to be automatically fill in with employee name. How am I gonna have that ?

Recently there is new feature of Power BI integration, but I don't think I'm gonna need that, right? because I do not need to update anything and throw bck to Power BI, right? I jus want to get the record (employee name) from Power BI and having the name in my "Email" apps.

Will be wonderful if I can have advice from all masters around here. 🙂

Thanks,

Axal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Axal ,

Do you want to auto-populate the Text Input box within your app with employee name value of the selected record in your Power BI report?

Actually, when you embedded an canvas app within your Power BI report, the PowerBIIntegration control would be generated automatically.

If you want to auto-populate the Text Input box within your app with employee name value of the selected record in your Power BI report, please set the Default property of the Text Input box to following:

First([@PowerBIIntegration].Data).EmployeeName

Please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Axal ,

Do you want to auto-populate the Text Input box within your app with employee name value of the selected record in your Power BI report?

Actually, when you embedded an canvas app within your Power BI report, the PowerBIIntegration control would be generated automatically.

If you want to auto-populate the Text Input box within your app with employee name value of the selected record in your Power BI report, please set the Default property of the Text Input box to following:

Please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi Kris,

Thanks for your advice. I tried it, and you are right, it turns out after I add my PowerApps inside PowerBI, then I have to edit it first. This step is skipped at first time. Now after it open PowerApps editor, I can see it is added PowerBI integration in its node.

However, there is one problem, I tried to add the statement in Default of my TextInput -->

But the field name "EmplyeeName" unrecognized.  I can type up to "....Data" then there is no suggestion, and if "force" to type it, there is error sign.

Obviously my Apps does not know what field has been used or passed in PowerBI. How to solve this ?

Thanks in advance,

Axal

Axal
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi,

I solved this. it turns out I need to add  my PowerApps in PowerBI Service (PowerBI.com) and edit it from there. So cannot from PowerBI Desktop. So after I edit from PBIS, the field which I passed on will appear when I type : 

First([@PowerBIIntegration].Data)

This actually discussed in one of Shane Young videos. 

So anyway Many thanks for help.

Cheers,

Axal

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,534)